Mailing List Archive

USB hard drive issues
Hi,
I've been fighting with this system most of the weekend. The problem i'm
running into is booting from a usb hd. The livecd detects it just fine.

First time through I built the kernel manually and stuck pretty close to the
install.txt for partitioning, etc. The major difference of course is that
my drive shows up as /dev/sda (scsi 0,0,0). And the built-in drive (s-ata)
shows up as sdb on scsi 2,0,0. I'm running an Asus p4c800-e deluxe
motherboard.
2004.2 using the smp kernel (2.6.7r11) panics when net-setup is run. So I
did the install using gentoo (2.4.26r6) but built 2.6.8-gentoo-r3
(gentoo-dev-sources).
I've answered a lot of my own questions with web searches (initrd linuxrc
script needs to be modified to rescan the scsi bus after usb drivers load).
But being a newbie I haven't been able to figure out how to get into
initrd-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 to edit the script.

Any assistance would be appreciated! BTW, since the livecd boot works and
detects the drive, why doesn't the initrd generated by genkernel do the
same?
Is this a feature that can be included in a future release? Optionally,
where are the files that genkernel uses to build the initrd in the first
place?
Can I edit those prior to running genkernel initrd?

Thanks!

Cecil Whitley