check md5sum)is not a practical solution.

--
#Joseph

Re: checking file integrity after upload [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:28:08 -0600 Joseph <syscon@interbaun.com> wrote:
| Is there any other way (beside md5sum) to check file integrity after
| uploading it to a server?
| I don't have telnet or ssh access just ftp.

Nope. You've just got to rely upon ftp not screwing things up. As we
found out from the 2004.2 release, this isn't really very reliable :)
Really, you need to be able to run md5sum on your server, and if you
can't, you should consider getting a different server.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: checking file integrity after upload [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 11:33, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:28:08 -0600 Joseph <syscon@interbaun.com> wrote:
> | Is there any other way (beside md5sum) to check file integrity after
> | uploading it to a server?
> | I don't have telnet or ssh access just ftp.
>
> Nope. You've just got to rely upon ftp not screwing things up. As we
> found out from the 2004.2 release, this isn't really very reliable :)
> Really, you need to be able to run md5sum on your server, and if you
> can't, you should consider getting a different server.

The problem is it is not my server, I'm using my ISP disk-space
allowance as a backup (encrypted of cause); and there aren't very many
ISP that allow command line access unless it is a dedicated server.

--
#Joseph

Re: checking file integrity after upload [ In reply to ]
Then you'll probably have to go through the painful step of downloading it
again to your local machine, and running either md5 sum there back on the
machine you started with. It takes a lot longer; however, you'll at least
know the file was uploaded properly...

Re: checking file integrity after upload [ In reply to ]
Does your ISP give you access to PHP?

If so, you could probably just create a small PHP script to check the
MD5 of the file... just watch out for timeouts/memory usage limits
(there are other PHP functions that'll disable those, assuming your
ISP is kind enough to let you use 'em...

Similarly, if your ISP gives you CGI access using Perl, then you can
do pretty much the same thing... all without having command-line
access to the server...