Mailing List Archive

OT - expanding a doze partition without losing gentoo?
hi there,
As I haven't yet got around to either getting another hd or old box to
put a server on, I am pretty much reduced to try to fluff around with
my partitions.
My hd situation is the following

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 516 4144738+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 517 7298 54470934 5 Extended
/dev/hda5 517 1535 8185086 83 Linux
/dev/hda6 1536 1665 1044193+ 82 Linux swap
/dev/hda7 1666 2174 4088511 83 Linux
/dev/hda8 2175 2683 4088511 83 Linux
/dev/hda9 3193 7298 32975932+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda10 2684 3192 4088511 83 Linux

So what do I need to do? Well, I am using vb6 + oracle 9i at work and
want to set up the same thing here. The oracle server at work is not
visible to the net. So I need to install oracle on the doze partition
(I am not that keen to fork out for vmware or get a pirated key, even
if it would work ok...). However, I'm at least a gig short on space.
So, is there any way of doing this without losing everything on my
linux partitions? What I would probably do is try and reclaim about
2-3 gig so I could get it installed - it is the only thing I am doing
there (the actual db is small). I know it will be risky in any case,
but am prepared to take that risk.
Cheers
Antoine

--
G System, The Evolving GUniverse - http://www.g-system.at

Re: OT - expanding a doze partition without losing gentoo? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 18:48:29 +0200, Antoine <melser.anton@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi there,
> As I haven't yet got around to either getting another hd or old box to
> put a server on, I am pretty much reduced to try to fluff around with
> my partitions.
> My hd situation is the following
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/hda1 * 1 516 4144738+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hda2 517 7298 54470934 5 Extended
> /dev/hda5 517 1535 8185086 83 Linux
> /dev/hda6 1536 1665 1044193+ 82 Linux swap
> /dev/hda7 1666 2174 4088511 83 Linux
> /dev/hda8 2175 2683 4088511 83 Linux
> /dev/hda9 3193 7298 32975932+ 83 Linux
> /dev/hda10 2684 3192 4088511 83 Linux
>
> So what do I need to do? Well, I am using vb6 + oracle 9i at work and
> want to set up the same thing here. The oracle server at work is not
> visible to the net. So I need to install oracle on the doze partition
> (I am not that keen to fork out for vmware or get a pirated key, even
> if it would work ok...). However, I'm at least a gig short on space.
> So, is there any way of doing this without losing everything on my
> linux partitions? What I would probably do is try and reclaim about
> 2-3 gig so I could get it installed - it is the only thing I am doing
> there (the actual db is small). I know it will be risky in any case,
> but am prepared to take that risk.

I don't see that you have a lot of space to play with, even if you
find some magic program (Partition Magic, maybe), so your best bet is
to find a cheap second drive. 40-80G drives are quite cheap these
days.

With a new drive, you could dedicate whatever space you need for a new
NTFS partition, and install oracle there without needing to screw
around with anything else.

Just my $.02.

--
/\/\