Mailing List Archive

Re: internet requirement
Hi and welcome on the board!

If you can carry a HDD and the gentoo LiveCD to a machine with internet
connection, then you can use the fetchonly (-f) option of bootstrap and
emerge.
It shouldn't be too hard. You boot from the LiveCD do everything as
written in the handbook and when you reach the bootstrap, you write
bootstrap -f. Wait for the download. Go home boot from LiveCD chroot,
and bootstrap. When it finnished, you play with the emerge -pv and
/var/cache/edb/world file until you are satisfied with packages to
install. Then go back to the internet connection, do an emerge -f world.
Go home do emerge system and emerge world.
It will be good. *Don't* forget about the programs at the and of the
install process (logger, cron etc.)
It should be OK, if it isn't clear enough ask whithout fear ;)

Hope That it Helps!

Cheers,
Tamas Sarga Sarga Tamas
Software Developer Szoftver fejleszto
Member of the Mozilla Quality Assurance Mozilla Quality Assurance tag
OpenOffice.org translator OpenOffice.org fordito

There are 10 types of people in this world. 10 féle amber van a világon,
Those who understand binary, and those az egyik amelyik ismeri a
who don't kettes számrendszert, és a
másik, amelyik nem