Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: gentoo a real penguin? And what's with the cow? [ In reply to ]
Ric de France wrote:
> You better believe it... I've got so many solutions (many involving
> Gentoo) to offer, and they're all being shunned away with an approach
> to MS 2003 Server (and associated products) being taken. I keep
> hearing:
> - "We've got to go with what our architects have decided."
> - "You don't know what you're talking about."
> - "How can a free product run better than a proprietary product?"
> - "There's no support for your product."
> Too much red tape to get anything done.
>

> The company I am thinking of is more into the line of "I don't care
> how much licenses cost, as long as there is a bricks and mortar
> company supporting up that we can sue the f**k out of if things go
> wrong" (don't even go into the area of EULAs stating you can't sue -
> it's been brought up before). To them Open Source = no cost (= no
> support) = no one to sue = major risk. When assessing a new company,
> granted that the logo is one small portion, but anything that gives
> them any reason to say "NO" to using open source will be used.
>
> ...RIc

This sounds to me like telling you excuses. The real reason is to me the
fact the Windows Licenses cost money and usually a portion of those
money end up in the managers' pockets.
That's the only reason why I (and you prolly) haven't been able to sell
a lot of linux solutions. Managers are not idiots as you prolly think.
They are busines men and will choose what best suits their needs; rarely
the company's needs come first.
If you want to sell your linux ideas you need to talk to the people from
whom's pockets the money are coming out: the owner(s). In the case of
big companies, that's practically impossible, so your best choice is
small or medium sized companies.
Also there's this stereotype: "any idiot can run windows, but not so for
linux" so your clients might also be afraid of not having the required
man power to handle linux-based solutions. Your best bet is to suggest
how idiot proof your product is and how hard to use this windows thing
seems to you, in an indirect manner.

--

Adi

Re: gentoo a real penguin? And what's with the cow? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:42:44 +0300, Adrian CAPDEFIER
<adriancapdefier@digifin.ro> wrote:
> This sounds to me like telling you excuses. The real reason is to me the
> fact the Windows Licenses cost money and usually a portion of those
> money end up in the managers' pockets.
> That's the only reason why I (and you prolly) haven't been able to sell
> a lot of linux solutions. Managers are not idiots as you prolly think.
> They are busines men and will choose what best suits their needs; rarely
> the company's needs come first.

Yeah... I agree with that... I read a while ago in the paper that
managers can't justify to shareholders to go out an buy a set of golf
clubs for themselves, but they're happy to accept them as gifts after
signing and paying huge licenses fees...

> Also there's this stereotype: "any idiot can run windows, but not so for
> linux" so your clients might also be afraid of not having the required
> man power to handle linux-based solutions. Your best bet is to suggest
> how idiot proof your product is and how hard to use this windows thing
> seems to you, in an indirect manner.

I totally diagree there... after running Gentoo as my home OS for
about 6 months, I find it easier to use than Windows (yes I am lazy...
I installed Gentoo so 90% of the sys admin tasks / software
maintenance would be taken care for me - thanks Gentoo dev)... and the
installation initially did phase me a little... but no more...

...Ric
--
Ric de France
Ph: +61412945554 (international) or 0412945554 (Australia)

Re: gentoo a real penguin? And what's with the cow? [ In reply to ]
Ric de France wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:42:44 +0300, Adrian CAPDEFIER
> <adriancapdefier@digifin.ro> wrote:
>>Also there's this stereotype: "any idiot can run windows, but not so for
>>linux" so your clients might also be afraid of not having the required
>>man power to handle linux-based solutions. Your best bet is to suggest
>>how idiot proof your product is and how hard to use this windows thing
>>seems to you, in an indirect manner.
>

> I totally diagree there... after running Gentoo as my home OS for
> about 6 months, I find it easier to use than Windows (yes I am lazy...
> I installed Gentoo so 90% of the sys admin tasks / software
> maintenance would be taken care for me - thanks Gentoo dev)... and the
> installation initially did phase me a little... but no more...
>
> ...Ric

Okay I assumed you realised I'm still talking about managers. When I go
to my brother's I'm pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 to switch to console then I
realise windows has no console; when the freaking desktop gets full I
keep trying to switch but it's just one! My desktop is easier to use.

I agree with you, but I was talking about non-IT aware in-duh-viduals.

--

Adi