Mailing List Archive

Re: emerging and CPU usage
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 00:18:01 +0100, Matt Wilson wrote:

> | in fact the best way to do this is to set PORTAGE_NICENESS in
> | /etc/make.conf.
>
> I disagree :) (Somebody always does!)
>
> Sometimes I don't care how long it takes to compile something (ie. I
> want what I'm doing to take priority over the compile process so I
> don't notice much difference), but other times I want to compile
> things up as'priority' and don't mind if it interrupts what I'm doing
> at the time if it means a lowered compile time (e.g. today I was
> working on a PERL+SQL project and needed MySQL installed on my machine
> so I merged it without nicing it, while other times I will nice [19]
> updates to the system).

PORTAGE_NICENESS is relative to the nice value of the emerge process. So
you can set it to something reasonable, say 5, so emerges don't slow
down the system, then use "nice -5 emerge blah" when you're in a hurry.
It all depends on which scenario occurs most often. I'd guess at the
former for most people.

--
Neil Bothwick

What if there were no hypothetical situations?