not. (I think yes but ...).

Thanks for your time.

Pat

Re: newbe: stage question [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 20:56:51 +0200, pat <pat@xvalheru.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> today I decided to try gentoo linux. I have question: is it necessary to
> upload all stage files for the installation ??? I want to try the
> possibility to compile everything ;-), so I have unpacked only stage1
> archive and continue in the installation, but in step "Selecting
> Mirrors" (I know it is optional) there is an error like the "portage" is
> missing. My question is if is necessary to extract all stage files or
> not. (I think yes but ...).

Only the stage1 tarball is needed if you are installing from stage1
and you have a working internet connection.

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: newbe: stage question [ In reply to ]
Collins Richey wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 20:56:51 +0200, pat <pat@xvalheru.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>today I decided to try gentoo linux. I have question: is it necessary to
>>upload all stage files for the installation ??? I want to try the
>>possibility to compile everything ;-), so I have unpacked only stage1
>>archive and continue in the installation, but in step "Selecting
>>Mirrors" (I know it is optional) there is an error like the "portage" is
>>missing. My question is if is necessary to extract all stage files or
>>not. (I think yes but ...).
>>

> Only the stage1 tarball is needed if you are installing from stage1
> and you have a working internet connection.

Well, right now I try to unpack all three stage archives and error
does'n appear - I should try next time without 'mirrorselect' ;-) But
there is another problem. After the mirrorselect finished, in the
/etc/make.conf there's a binary data followed by the GENTOO_MIRRORS
variable, then the env-update script failed with error message. So there
is necessary to remove binary data.

Pat

Re: newbe: stage question [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 22:02:59 +0200, pat <pat@xvalheru.org> wrote:

> Well, right now I try to unpack all three stage archives and error
> does'n appear - I should try next time without 'mirrorselect' ;-) But
> there is another problem. After the mirrorselect finished, in the
> /etc/make.conf there's a binary data followed by the GENTOO_MIRRORS
> variable, then the env-update script failed with error message. So there
> is necessary to remove binary data.

Yes, there was a bug with mirrorselect; you should remove any binary
data from /etc/make.conf. You don't say what country you are located
in. If it's the US, you coul used this setting in /etc/make.conf

GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://gentoo.ccccom.com http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo http:/
/gentoo.osuosl.org/ ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo http://mirror.datapip
e.net/gentoo"

HTH,

--
/\/\

Re: newbe: stage question - SOLVED [ In reply to ]
Yes, I have booted from the minimal LiveCD. Finally I solved this problem.

Thanks to all

Pat

Re: newbe: stage question [ In reply to ]