Mailing List Archive

Nvidia Driver Issues
I've been having some very poor performance running desktop applications
with nvidia's kernel driver.

Running Xfree with nvidia's driver results in desktop applications (like
firefox, evolution, etc) running very very slowly.
This does not affect 3d acceleration (getting over 1000fps with glxgears,
and have never had bad performance with 3d games)

Running Xfree with the nv driver gives great performance running desktop
apps, but of course, no 3d acceleration.

Graphics Card: GeForce FX 5600
Linux Kernel Version: 2.6.8-gentoo-r3
Nvidia Kernel Version: 1.0.6111
NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-6111 Tue Jul 27
07:55:38 PDT 2004
GCC version: gcc version 3.3.4 20040623 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.4-r1,
ssp-3.3.2-2, pie-8.7.6)

System Information:

/proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card
Fast Writes: Supported
SBA: Supported
AGP Rates: 4x 2x 1x
Registers: 0x1f000217:0x00000000

/proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

AGP initialization failed, please check the ouput
of the 'dmesg' command and/or your system log file
for additional information on this problem.

From /var/log/messages:
Sep 4 12:23:52 obsolete 0: NVRM: AGPGART: unable to retrieve symbol table
Sep 4 09:24:31 obsolete Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones

--I'm wondering if AGP issues may be the root problem, I have been unable
to get agp enabled for the nvidia driver for some reason

Thanks in advance for any help
-- Tim

Re: Nvidia Driver Issues [ In reply to ]
Hi Tim,

Tim Smith wrote:
> /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
>
> AGP initialization failed, please check the ouput
> of the 'dmesg' command and/or your system log file
> for additional information on this problem.
>
>>From /var/log/messages:
> Sep 4 12:23:52 obsolete 0: NVRM: AGPGART: unable to retrieve symbol table
> Sep 4 09:24:31 obsolete Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
>
> --I'm wondering if AGP issues may be the root problem, I have been unable
> to get agp enabled for the nvidia driver for some reason

You could try disabling agpgart in the kernel so that it uses nvidia's own gart.

Daniel

Re: Nvidia Driver Issues [ In reply to ]
> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim Smith wrote:
>> /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
>>
>> AGP initialization failed, please check the ouput
>> of the 'dmesg' command and/or your system log file
>> for additional information on this problem.
>>
>>>From /var/log/messages:
>> Sep 4 12:23:52 obsolete 0: NVRM: AGPGART: unable to retrieve symbol
>> table
>> Sep 4 09:24:31 obsolete Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
>>
>> --I'm wondering if AGP issues may be the root problem, I have been
>> unable
>> to get agp enabled for the nvidia driver for some reason
>
> You could try disabling agpgart in the kernel so that it uses nvidia's own
> gart.

I've tried that to no avail, the nvidia driver still doesn't seem to be
able to enable agpgart (even on its own)

Re: Nvidia Driver Issues [ In reply to ]
Tim Smith wrote:
>>Hi Tim,
>>
>>Tim Smith wrote:
>>
>>>/proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
>>>
>>>AGP initialization failed, please check the ouput
>>>of the 'dmesg' command and/or your system log file
>>>for additional information on this problem.

>>>Sep 4 12:23:52 obsolete 0: NVRM: AGPGART: unable to retrieve symbol
>>>table
>>>Sep 4 09:24:31 obsolete Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
>>>
>>>--I'm wondering if AGP issues may be the root problem, I have been
>>>unable
>>>to get agp enabled for the nvidia driver for some reason
>>
>>You could try disabling agpgart in the kernel so that it uses nvidia's own
>>gart.
>

> I've tried that to no avail, the nvidia driver still doesn't seem to be
> able to enable agpgart (even on its own)
>

>>Daniel

Have you compiled support for your motherboard's chipset into the kernel?

Holly

Re: Nvidia Driver Issues <solved> [ In reply to ]
> Tim Smith wrote:
>>>Hi Tim,

>>>You could try disabling agpgart in the kernel so that it uses nvidia's
>>> own
>>>gart.
>>

>> I've tried that to no avail, the nvidia driver still doesn't seem to be
>> able to enable agpgart (even on its own)
>>

>>>Daniel
>>>

> Have you compiled support for your motherboard's chipset into the kernel?

For the agp problems, I recompiled my kernel with agp as a module, and
tracked down the correct agp driver (via).
Now AGP works great.

Thats seems to have solved the problem.
Windowed apps are running at a good speed now.

-- Thanks for the help
-- Tim

Re: Nvidia Driver Issues [ In reply to ]
In the xorg (or XF86Config) file you can add an option to tell it what
agpart to use. Check the Nvidia docs for the exact option and it's
parameters.

--
Brett I. Holcomb