kernel, but I don't think it's getting that far. Does anyone have any
pointers for me here?

- Grant

Re: Grub configuration problem? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 10:55:44 -0700, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using the hardened-sources and trying to boot to the kernel for
> the first time I get this from Grub:
>
> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type is 0x83
> kernel /kernel-2.4.27-hardened-r1 root=/dev/hda3
>
> All of my partitions are ext3. I did remove ext2 support from the
> kernel, but I don't think it's getting that far. Does anyone have any
> pointers for me here?

Ext3 is just Ext2 with journaling (and maybe some other stuff, I'm
unsure) added. GRUB detects my Ext3 the same way, don't be alarmed.

-- Ted

Re: Grub configuration problem? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 10:55:44 -0700, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using the hardened-sources and trying to boot to the kernel for
> the first time I get this from Grub:
>
> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type is 0x83
> kernel /kernel-2.4.27-hardened-r1 root=/dev/hda3
>
> All of my partitions are ext3. I did remove ext2 support from the
> kernel, but I don't think it's getting that far. Does anyone have any
> pointers for me here?

If your boot is successful, you have no problem. grub like fdisk
cannot tell the difference between an ext2 and an ext3 fs, since there
is one and only one partition type for these. If you look at the
partition with cfdisk, it will tell you the true filetype.

HTH, report back if no.

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: Grub configuration problem? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 12:49:43 -0600, Collins Richey <crichey@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 10:55:44 -0700, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm using the hardened-sources and trying to boot to the kernel for
> > the first time I get this from Grub:
> >
> > Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type is 0x83
> > kernel /kernel-2.4.27-hardened-r1 root=/dev/hda3
> >
> > All of my partitions are ext3. I did remove ext2 support from the
> > kernel, but I don't think it's getting that far. Does anyone have any
> > pointers for me here?
> >

> If your boot is successful, you have no problem. grub like fdisk
> cannot tell the difference between an ext2 and an ext3 fs, since there
> is one and only one partition type for these. If you look at the
> partition with cfdisk, it will tell you the true filetype.
>
> HTH, report back if no.

OK, thank you. Do you have any idea why I'm getting this error? I
think there is a "file not found" after the amount I posted above. Is
this what happens when your kernel boot is unsuccessful?

- Grant

Re: Grub configuration problem? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 12:06:02 -0700, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 12:49:43 -0600, Collins Richey <crichey@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 10:55:44 -0700, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm using the hardened-sources and trying to boot to the kernel for
> > > the first time I get this from Grub:
> > >
> > > Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type is 0x83
> > > kernel /kernel-2.4.27-hardened-r1 root=/dev/hda3
> > >
> > > All of my partitions are ext3. I did remove ext2 support from the
> > > kernel, but I don't think it's getting that far. Does anyone have any
> > > pointers for me here?
> > >

> > If your boot is successful, you have no problem. grub like fdisk
> > cannot tell the difference between an ext2 and an ext3 fs, since there
> > is one and only one partition type for these. If you look at the
> > partition with cfdisk, it will tell you the true filetype.
> >
> > HTH, report back if no.
>
> OK, thank you. Do you have any idea why I'm getting this error? I
> think there is a "file not found" after the amount I posted above. Is
> this what happens when your kernel boot is unsuccessful?
>
> - Grant

It says:

Error 15: File not found
Press any key to continue

after the above message, and pressing a key goes back to grub. Does
anyone know what this means? Is 'kernel-2.4.27-hardened-r1'
incorrect?

- Grant

Re: Grub configuration problem? [ In reply to ]

Re: Grub configuration problem? [ In reply to ]
Mike Williams wrote:
> On Saturday 04 September 2004 20:28, Grant wrote:
>
>>>It says:
>>>
>>>Error 15: File not found
>>>Press any key to continue
>>>
>>>after the above message, and pressing a key goes back to grub. Does
>>>anyone know what this means? Is 'kernel-2.4.27-hardened-r1'
>>>incorrect?
>

> Depends what the rest of your config says.

Not to mention what the file is called in the /boot partition or folder.

But Mike is right; you need to post the rest of your config, since that
"missing file or folder" error does not, ime, necessarily refer to the
kernel-- it might refer to a initrd that you use for bootsplash, or
heaven only knows what, or might indicate not that the filename is
wrong, but that the path to the (correct) filename is wrong.

How did you install your kernel, btw? If you used make install, you
could just use 'vmlinuz' for the filename, and then you wouldn't need to
worry about the full exact filename of the kernel image (vmlinuz is a
symlink to the most-recently installed kernel; any previously-installed
kernel is linked to vmlinuz.old in the same operation, and any
previously previously installed kernel drops off the symlink list and
must be listed by full name, but who cares since you're not so terribly
likely to be booting a kernel 2 kernels behind the most recently installed).

Re: Grub configuration problem? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 22:04:15 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
> Mike Williams wrote:

> > Depends what the rest of your config says.
> >

> Not to mention what the file is called in the /boot partition or folder.
>
> But Mike is right; you need to post the rest of your config, since that
> "missing file or folder" error does not, ime, necessarily refer to the
> kernel-- it might refer to a initrd that you use for bootsplash, or
> heaven only knows what, or might indicate not that the filename is
> wrong, but that the path to the (correct) filename is wrong.
>
> How did you install your kernel, btw? If you used make install, you
> could just use 'vmlinuz' for the filename, and then you wouldn't need to
> worry about the full exact filename of the kernel image (vmlinuz is a
> symlink to the most-recently installed kernel; any previously-installed
> kernel is linked to vmlinuz.old in the same operation, and any
> previously previously installed kernel drops off the symlink list and
> must be listed by full name, but who cares since you're not so terribly
> likely to be booting a kernel 2 kernels behind the most recently installed).

Thanks a lot for all the help. Holly's comment about kernel
installation made me remember hat I hadn't copied two crucial things
after compiling the kernel. One of them was the System.map, but I
can't remember what the other was. That system is now booted into the
harened kernel.

- Grant

Re: Grub configuration problem? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 15:57:40 -0700, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for all the help. Holly's comment about kernel
> installation made me remember hat I hadn't copied two crucial things
> after compiling the kernel. One of them was the System.map, but I
> can't remember what the other was. That system is now booted into the
> harened kernel.

Congratulations. Just a note for the future, after compiling the
kernel, the only crucial file to copy is <kernel
source>/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot as a name of your choice
(/boot must be mounted if using a /boot partition). This is presuming
you have an i386 architecture.

It is optional but recommended to copy the System.map as well.

Good luck,

--
/\/\

Re: Grub configuration problem? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 15:57:40 -0700, Grant wrote:

> Thanks a lot for all the help. Holly's comment about kernel
> installation made me remember hat I hadn't copied two crucial things
> after compiling the kernel. One of them was the System.map, but I
> can't remember what the other was.

Use "make install" instead of copying files manually. It makes sure
everything is copied and symlinked correctly and backs up the old kernel
files too.

--
Neil Bothwick

Two most common elements: Hydrogen and Stupidity