emerge: "sync" actions do not support "--pretend."

Ummm, yeah how am I going to emerge that, there isn't any "--" option
as far as I know. :S

Re: emerging rsync :S [ In reply to ]

On Saturday 04 September 2004 18:11, Felix Tiede wrote:
> Imperfect Arran wrote:
> | arran@arran4 ~ $ sudo emerge rsync grub xprint coreutils samba gaim -pvu
> | emerge: "sync" actions do not support "--pretend."
> |

> | Ummm, yeah how am I going to emerge that, there isn't any "--" option
> | as far as I know. :S
> |
> | --
>
> Try
> #> emerge net-misc/rsync grub xprint coreutils samba gaim -pvu
>
> For rsync you need to specify it either with its category or use a specific
> ebuild. Otherwise emerge will interpret as command to synchronize the
> portage tree.
>
> I can remember having read about this somewhere in the docs, but don't
> recall where that was. Maybe in the description for a local rsync mirror.

Does *anybody* still "emerge rsync"? It's deprecated in 2.0.51, but it'd be
great to be able to skip the deprecation step and just remove it.

Regards,
Jason Stubbs

Re: emerging rsync :S [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Jason Stubbs wrote:

> Does *anybody* still "emerge rsync"? It's deprecated in 2.0.51, but it'd be
> great to be able to skip the deprecation step and just remove it.

emerge rsync? emerge sync?

Now, all I use is 'esync' (found in esearch). Takes longer, but when its
done, it displays a list of changed packages from the last esync, and then
the very quickly searchable esearch db is up to date.

You could also put a message in the rsync ebuild saying that if they meant
to update the ebuilds, they need to use 'emerge sync'.

--
Sometimes the garbage disposal gods demand a spoon
() The ASCII Ribbon Campaign against HTML Email,

Re: emerging rsync :S [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 19:50:29 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@gentoo.org>
wrote:
| Does *anybody* still "emerge rsync"? It's deprecated in 2.0.51, but
| it'd be great to be able to skip the deprecation step and just remove
| it.

KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT! Now that Daniel can't veto it there's no
reason for it to remain :)

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: emerging rsync :S [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 01:36:54 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 19:50:29 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> | Does *anybody* still "emerge rsync"? It's deprecated in 2.0.51, but
> | it'd be great to be able to skip the deprecation step and just remove
> | it.
>
> KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT! Now that Daniel can't veto it there's no
> reason for it to remain :)
>
> --
uh.. so how do you keep portage upto date? (i must be out of the loop
something shocking 0.o )

Re: emerging rsync :S [ In reply to ]
We manually compare the files. Where have you been!?

On another note, maybe we should put something in simular to -- ?

Re: emerging rsync :S [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 05 September 2004 09:46, Senectus . wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 01:36:54 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@gentoo.org>
wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 19:50:29 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@gentoo.org>
> >
> > wrote:
> > | Does *anybody* still "emerge rsync"? It's deprecated in 2.0.51, but
> > | it'd be great to be able to skip the deprecation step and just remove
> > | it.
> >
> > KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT! Now that Daniel can't veto it there's no
> > reason for it to remain :)
> >
> > --
>
> uh.. so how do you keep portage upto date? (i must be out of the loop
> something shocking 0.o )

emerge sync or emerge --sync

Of course, it is entirely possible that a "sync" package could be added to the
tree and we'd be back to square one. Emerge's options will be standardized
one day, but for the moment "rsync" is the only problem option.

Regards,
Jason Stubbs