as blocked:

sys-apps/modutils

because of this package:

sys-apps/module-init-tools

with this message:

("virtual/modutils" from pkg sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.0-r2)

Can this be fixed or is this the kind of thing I should report as a bug?

- Grant

Re: 'emerge hardened-sources' blocked [ In reply to ]
module-init-tools is the set of module utilities for the 2.6 kernel
series. Since hardened-sources is a 2.4 kernel, it requires modutils
which is for the 2.4 series.

If you're not using a 2.6 kernel at all, go ahead and unmerge
module-init-tools in favor of modutils.

Dan

Re: 'emerge hardened-sources' blocked [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 23:33:24 -0400, Dan Barr <danbarr@gmail.com> wrote:
> module-init-tools is the set of module utilities for the 2.6 kernel
> series. Since hardened-sources is a 2.4 kernel, it requires modutils
> which is for the 2.4 series.
>
> If you're not using a 2.6 kernel at all, go ahead and unmerge
> module-init-tools in favor of modutils.
>
> Dan

Ok, but how did I end up with module-init-tools on my system? I've
always made the 2.4 choices.

- Grant

Re: 'emerge hardened-sources' blocked [ In reply to ]
A number of things could have brought module-init-tools in as a
dependency. You can try searching through your emerge.log, see what
emerge brought it into your system.

Re: 'emerge hardened-sources' blocked [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 23:40:13 -0400, Dan Barr <danbarr@gmail.com> wrote:
> A number of things could have brought module-init-tools in as a
> dependency. You can try searching through your emerge.log, see what
> emerge brought it into your system.

'emerge -pv hardened-sources' looks like this:

B modutils
N module-init-tools
N hardened-sources

That means none of them are on my system already right?

- Grant

Re: 'emerge hardened-sources' blocked [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:55:46 -0700, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 23:40:13 -0400, Dan Barr <danbarr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A number of things could have brought module-init-tools in as a
> > dependency. You can try searching through your emerge.log, see what
> > emerge brought it into your system.
> >

> 'emerge -pv hardened-sources' looks like this:
>
> B modutils
> N module-init-tools
> N hardened-sources
>
> That means none of them are on my system already right?

The newer (2.6) kernels require module-init-tools rather than
modutils. module-init-tools is backwards compatible with older (2.4)
kernels. modutils and module-init-tools cannot be concurrently
installed, that's why you get the Blocked message.

Do this:

emerge -C modutils
emerge module-init-tools
emerge hardened sources

HTH,
--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: 'emerge hardened-sources' blocked [ In reply to ]
According to emerge.log, modutils is on my system and was the first
package emerged by 'emerge system'. Do I need to unmerge that
package? Maybe module-init-tools takes its place when using
hardened-sources?

Re: 'emerge hardened-sources' blocked [ In reply to ]
Oh, sorry, I misread your initial post. As someone else replied below,
start by unmerging modutils, then emerge hardened-sources to bring in
module-init-tools.

Dan