What to check.

--
Thelma
Re: slim gives me blank screen after entering wrong password [ In reply to ]
On 2023/04/06 at 06:53pm, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> I'm starting X server via "slim" (XFCE4). When I enter a wrong
> password the slim will not restart, it gives me black screen. Trying
> to restart "xdm" over ssh does not help, I need to reboot the
> computer.

Have you tried restarting the 'display-manager' service instead? IIRC,
it replaced xdm.

--
Chris Spackman (he / him)

ESOL Coordinator, The Graham Family of Schools
ESOL Educator, Columbus State Community College

Japan Exchange and Teaching Program (Wajima, Ishikawa 1995-1998)
Linux user since 1998
Linux User #137532
Re: slim gives me blank screen after entering wrong password [ In reply to ]
On 4/7/23 11:06, Spackman, Chris wrote:
> On 2023/04/06 at 06:53pm, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> I'm starting X server via "slim" (XFCE4). When I enter a wrong
>> password the slim will not restart, it gives me black screen. Trying
>> to restart "xdm" over ssh does not help, I need to reboot the
>> computer.
>
> Have you tried restarting the 'display-manager' service instead? IIRC,
> it replaced xdm.

You are correct, I'm suing "display-manager" not xdm. So I was restarting the wrong one :-/ that is why it didn't work. One of those days.
And to login it uses "lightdm"
Thank you for the pointer.
Re: slim gives me blank screen after entering wrong password [ In reply to ]
Am 07.04.23 um 02:53 schrieb thelma@sys-concept.com:
> I'm starting X server via "slim" (XFCE4)

Is the fork aktiv and maintained? I had some problems using it and after
Jörg Schilling died and berlinos disappeared since it was his domain I
switched away. Didn't expect it to be maintained any longer.
Re: slim gives me blank screen after entering wrong password [ In reply to ]
On 2023/04/07 at 11:40am, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 4/7/23 11:06, Spackman, Chris wrote:
> > On 2023/04/06 at 06:53pm, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> >> I'm starting X server via "slim" (XFCE4). When I enter a wrong
> >> password the slim will not restart, it gives me black screen. Trying
> >> to restart "xdm" over ssh does not help, I need to reboot the
> >> computer.
> >
> > Have you tried restarting the 'display-manager' service instead? IIRC,
> > it replaced xdm.
>
> You are correct, I'm suing "display-manager" not xdm. So I was
> restarting the wrong one :-/ that is why it didn't work. One of those
> days.

> And to login it uses "lightdm"
> Thank you for the pointer.

I figured that might be it because I did the exact same thing the first
few times after the switch.