Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Jack
Re: mailing list problem? [ In reply to ]

https://infra-status.gentoo.org/notice/20230404-archives
Re: mailing list problem? [ In reply to ]
>I've recently gotten a few of my usual "Bouncing messages" messages
>from the mailing list, but when I go to the archives to see if I can
>identify the problematic messages, I don't see anything since the
>middle of March. I've filed a bug (https://bugs.gentoo.org/903753) a
>few days ago, but no response yet.
>
>Any thoughts or suggestions?

The planned move of the gentoo services to new hardware seems to be taking
longer that anticipated. See
https://infra-status.gentoo.org/

Other than that, wait patiently.:)
DaveF

Re: mailing list problem? [ In reply to ]
On 4/6/23 19:42, David M. Fellows wrote:
>> I've recently gotten a few of my usual "Bouncing messages" messages
> >from the mailing list, but when I go to the archives to see if I can
>> identify the problematic messages, I don't see anything since the
>> middle of March. I've filed a bug (https://bugs.gentoo.org/903753) a
>> few days ago, but no response yet.
>>
>> Any thoughts or suggestions?
> The planned move of the gentoo services to new hardware seems to be taking
> longer that anticipated. See
> https://infra-status.gentoo.org/
>
> Other than that, wait patiently.:)
> DaveF
Thanks Matt and Dave - that's clearly the issue.  I also have a stronger
suspicion regarding what messages are not getting to me, and I don't
think I'll miss them.
Re: mailing list problem? [ In reply to ]
On 2023-04-07, Jack wrote:

> On 4/6/23 19:42, David M. Fellows wrote:
>>> I've recently gotten a few of my usual "Bouncing messages" messages
>> >from the mailing list, but when I go to the archives to see if I
>> can
>>> identify the problematic messages, I don't see anything since the
>>> middle of March. I've filed a bug (https://bugs.gentoo.org/903753) a
>>> few days ago, but no response yet.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts or suggestions?
>> The planned move of the gentoo services to new hardware seems to be taking
>> longer that anticipated. See
>> https://infra-status.gentoo.org/
>>
>> Other than that, wait patiently.:)
>> DaveF
> Thanks Matt and Dave - that's clearly the issue.  I also have a
> stronger suspicion regarding what messages are not getting to me, and
> I don't think I'll miss them.

Unless the mailing list software is updated to start including something
more useful to identify messages that are bouncing, say, the Message-Id,
it's going to continue to be difficult to identify these messages.

The bounce warning includes an identifier that can only(?) be used to
request that the mailing list software resend the message... so, to the
address where it is bouncing, and where it will possibly bounce
again. Unless perhaps if you try from a different address, but I'd say
having to do so is not very convenient.

Ideally these messages and the list archive would both use Message-Id,
but even if the latter doesn't, you could still access the message at
Gmane if you knew the Message-Id (unless there was some problem
delivering to Gmane too). And if neither used Message-Id but both used
the same identifier, you could still look it up in Gentoo's list
archive...

Oh, yes, if you want to check a non-Gentoo archive, Gmane is a
possibility for that too, among others:

- news://news.gmane.io/gmane.linux.gentoo.user
- https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-user
- https://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org/

--
Nuno Silva