Mailing List Archive

Move HOMEPAGE, DESCRIPTION, etc. to metadata.xml?
Good day!

Was there an idea to move HOMEPAGE, DESCRIPTION, etc. to metadata.xml?

Are the properties common for package, aren’t they?

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Alexander Kurakin.
Re: Move HOMEPAGE, DESCRIPTION, etc. to metadata.xml? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 04, 2023 at 02:41:07PM +0300, Alexander Kurakin wrote:

> Good day!
>
> Was there an idea to move HOMEPAGE, DESCRIPTION, etc. to metadata.xml?

There is[1] (since 2007), but it never went anywhere.

> Are the properties common for package, aren’t they?

Usually anyway. For what it's worth, among what I maintain, there is
one package (nvidia-drivers) where the 0/vulkan slot (525.47.x) has
a different HOMEPAGE pointing to the vulkan page. Not that "most" tools
really consider differences for these when displaying so it's mostly
useful for someone opening the ebuild and wanting something to click.

Having these readily viewable in the ebuild rather than buried in
the metadata is often an argument to keep these, i.e. without
description can't even see what the package is about if only looking
at the ebuild. Not that I need that myself given I use repo-cd[2]
that displays metadata when I work on ebuilds.

[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/186454
[2] https://github.com/ionenwks/iwdevtools#repo-cd
--
ionen
Re: Move HOMEPAGE, DESCRIPTION, etc. to metadata.xml? [ In reply to ]
Thanks!

Sincerely,
Alexander Kurakin.

Re: Move HOMEPAGE, DESCRIPTION, etc. to metadata.xml? [ In reply to ]
> For what it's worth, among what I maintain, there is
> one package (nvidia-drivers) where the 0/vulkan slot (525.47.x) has
> a different HOMEPAGE pointing to the vulkan page.

BTW, as I understand, there is `restrict` attribute for this option [1].
But as for now, its syntax is poor as it’s EAPI 0-compatible.

[1]  https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/misc-files/metadata/index.html

Sincerely,
Alexander Kurakin.