frames, the first Browser Wars. Searching for pages with AltaVista,
pop-up windows self-replicating, trying to uninstall RealPlayer. All
those moments, will be lost in time like tears in rain... time to die.
Re: Missing line-drawing characters on re-install [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 30 December 2022 04:08:51 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
> I'm b-a-a-a-a-ck... on my regular desktop. I re-installed with
> unicode enabled and locale corrected. Some rough edges, specifically no
> line-drawing characters. See attached image. Mutt is supposed to have
> horizontal lines from right after the ")" up to the ">". Similarly mc
> is supposed to have vertical and horizontal line drawing characters
> separating and surrounding the two panels. I can use "mc -a" to get a
> decent emulation with "+", "_", and "|" in place of line-drawing
> characters. Similarly mutt has the "set ascii_chars" option to get an
> ugly version of line-threading. Since this problem shows up on more
> than one app, I assume that it's a general system problem. Any ideas on
> how to get real line-drawing characters back?

I can't recall what else you have eliminated as the cause of this rendering
problem. Have you checked:

1. VT console.
2. Different terminal (urxvt, xterm, gnome terminal, konsole, etc.).
3. Different DE/Window Manager.

Also may be worth trying Wayland as opposed to Xorg, in case the video card
driver likes one more than the other.
Re: Missing line-drawing characters on re-install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 01:05:26PM +0000, Michael wrote

> I can't recall what else you have eliminated as the cause of this
> rendering problem. Have you checked:
>
> 1. VT console.
> 2. Different terminal (urxvt, xterm, gnome terminal, konsole, etc.).
> 3. Different DE/Window Manager.

A bit of digging. For text tty's (tty1, tty2, etc) I use solar24x32
as the font. On a text tty both mc and mutt work fine (line-drawing)
natively without any hacks. They also work fine on urxvt without any
hacks. Note that the ebuild that provides urxvt is called, wait for it,

rxvt-unicode

It looks like urxvt is designed from square 1 to handle unicode, and
xterm is not.

--
I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
Re: Missing line-drawing characters on re-install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 06:37:59PM +0000, Michael wrote

> I rarely use xterm and can't recall how it behaves with mutt, so I'm
> not sure if the above flags would make any difference. If xterm is
> your favourite terminal you may want to give these flags a spin.

I've already tried xterm with +/- unicode. No difference. I may have
to migrate to urxvt.

Re: Missing line-drawing characters on re-install [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 30 December 2022 13:29:30 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 01:05:26PM +0000, Michael wrote
>
> > I can't recall what else you have eliminated as the cause of this
> > rendering problem. Have you checked:
> >
> > 1. VT console.
> > 2. Different terminal (urxvt, xterm, gnome terminal, konsole, etc.).
> > 3. Different DE/Window Manager.
>
> A bit of digging. For text tty's (tty1, tty2, etc) I use solar24x32
> as the font. On a text tty both mc and mutt work fine (line-drawing)
> natively without any hacks. They also work fine on urxvt without any
> hacks. Note that the ebuild that provides urxvt is called, wait for it,
>
> rxvt-unicode
>
> It looks like urxvt is designed from square 1 to handle unicode, and
> xterm is not.

OKie dOKie, it is a terminal rendering issue then. I'm not on a PC with mutt
right now, so can't confirm, but these are the xterm USE flags I use here:

~ $ equery u x11-terms/xterm
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[ : I - package is installed with flag ]
[ Colors : set, unset ]
* Found these USE flags for x11-terms/xterm-376:
U I
- - Xaw3d : Add support for the 3d athena widget set
+ + openpty : Use openpty() in preference to posix_openpt()
- - sixel : Enable sixel graphics support
- - toolbar : Enable the xterm toolbar to be built
+ + truetype : Add support for FreeType and/or FreeType2 fonts
+ + unicode : Add support for Unicode
- - verify-sig : Verify upstream signatures on distfiles
- - xinerama : Add support for querying multi-monitor screen geometry
through the Xinerama API