like to be able to play, but I can't find a usable player in Gentoo. Media-
sound/wavplay doesn't do it.

Peter.
Re: Playing .wav files? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 1 Dec 2022 at 18:28, Peter Humphrey <peter@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> What do you use to play .wav files? I've come across a collection which I'd
> like to be able to play, but I can't find a usable player in Gentoo. Media-
> sound/wavplay doesn't do it.

I play them in audacious, which is my regular audio player, but if you
have some hard-to-play files maybe try ffplay from the ffmpeg package?
ffmpeg tends to handle most formats after all.

Regards,
Arve
Re: Playing .wav files? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2022-12-01 at 17:28 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> What do you use to play .wav files?

The same thing I use to play every other media: mpv
Re: Playing .wav files? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2022-12-01 at 12:45 -0500, Matt Connell wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-12-01 at 17:28 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > What do you use to play .wav files?
>
> The same thing I use to play every other media: mpv

To clarify: media-video/mpv
Re: Playing .wav files? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 01, 2022 at 05:28:05PM +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> What do you use to play .wav files? I've come across a collection which I'd
> like to be able to play, but I can't find a usable player in Gentoo. Media-
> sound/wavplay doesn't do it.

About any non-specialized audio players will support .wav alongside
any popular formats (ogg, mp3, etc...). No need to be looking for a
wav-only player.

When just want to play about anything supported by ffmpeg, video
players can be simple too, aka media-video/mpv can play .wav from
the command line (also supports many audio output backends).

For basic tools, there's "aplay" from alsa-utils, or "play" from
media-sound/sox (SoX can also be used to work on wav files from the
command line, transform, trim, adjust volume, etc...).

--
ionen
Re: Playing .wav files? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 10:28 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@prh.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> What do you use to play .wav files? I've come across a collection which
I'd
> like to be able to play, but I can't find a usable player in Gentoo.
Media-
> sound/wavplay doesn't do it.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Peter.

VLC
Re: Playing .wav files? [ In reply to ]
Doesnt cmus play wav files?

Lee ????

Re: Playing .wav files? [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 2 December 2022 02:40:56 GMT Lee wrote:
> Doesnt cmus play wav files?

I hadn't heard of it.

Thank you all. Several promising ideas there.

Peter.
Re: Playing .wav files? [ In reply to ]
On 02/12/2022 10:45, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday, 2 December 2022 02:40:56 GMT Lee wrote:
>> Doesnt cmus play wav files?
>
> I hadn't heard of it.
>
> Thank you all. Several promising ideas there.

Another idea? Audacity?

I know it's not thought of as a music player but it can. More
importantly, it'll dump the wav as an mp3 that your computer can play.

Cheers,
Wol