ago.

I have a problem, in that I need to join several PDFs or jpegs output
from xsane (the scanner program) into a single document.

I don't know which program can do this for me. Would somebody please
recommend one (or even two) to me, please.

Thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
Re: Joining PDFs and/or jpegs together. Help, please! [ In reply to ]
A quick google reveals that someone else has run into this situation before: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2507766/merge-convert-multiple-pdf-files-into-one-pdf

Does this solution work for your use case?
----------------------------
Gregory 'Rudi' Rudolph
rudi@nmare.net
(518) 888-6156
----------------------------

Verify PGP Signature via https://keybase.io/verify I am Rudi9719

This email message and attachment(s) may contain sensitive and/or proprietary information and is intended only for the person(s) to whom this email message is addressed. If you have received this email message in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message without making a copy. Please do not transmit any sensitive, proprietary, ITARS or FOUO data via e-mail without using approved encryption techniques.

Re: Joining PDFs and/or jpegs together. Help, please! [ In reply to ]
Alan,

On Friday, 2022-11-25 16:40:11 +0000, you wrote:

> I have a problem, in that I need to join several PDFs or jpegs output
> from xsane (the scanner program) into a single document.

For joining PDFs I use "pdftk" from "app-text/pdftk".

Sincerely,
Rainer
Re: Joining PDFs and/or jpegs together. Help, please! [ In reply to ]
On 25/11/2022 17:49, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
> Alan,
>
> On Friday, 2022-11-25 16:40:11 +0000, you wrote:

>> I have a problem, in that I need to join several PDFs or jpegs output
>> from xsane (the scanner program) into a single document.
>
> For joining PDFs I use "pdftk" from "app-text/pdftk".

I've got something called pdfarranger in my world file. Iirc it's a
simple python app that can combine pdfs, delete pages, etc etc. You'll
have to look it up and see whether it suits what you want, I think I've
used it once and just left it there in case I need it again.

Cheers,
Wol
Re: Joining PDFs and/or jpegs together. Help, please! [ In reply to ]
Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hello, Gentoo,
>
> I'm back again after something kicked me off the mailing list some while
> ago.
>
> I have a problem, in that I need to join several PDFs or jpegs output
> from xsane (the scanner program) into a single document.
>
> I don't know which program can do this for me. Would somebody please
> recommend one (or even two) to me, please.
>
> Thanks!

I used this just the other day to put two page pdf together.  I'm not
sure about images tho.

convert front.png back.png duplex.pdf

front is page one, back is page two and duplex is output file name.  I'd
guess one could do more than two pages to tho.  I've never done it.

You should have a few options for this given other replies.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Joining PDFs and/or jpegs together. Help, please! [ In reply to ]
I use pdfjam (which is in app-text/texlive-core) for this sort of
thing, and it's pretty fantastic. It's pretty dependency heavy if you
dont already use texlive though, as it's using texlive's pdfpages as
its backend. So if you're a latex user I'd go that way, if not use
one of the other recommended tools

Re: Joining PDFs and/or jpegs together. Help, please! [ In reply to ]
Hi Alan,

On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 16:40:11 +0000
Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> Hello, Gentoo,
>
> I'm back again after something kicked me off the mailing list some while
> ago.
>
> I have a problem, in that I need to join several PDFs or jpegs output
> from xsane (the scanner program) into a single document.
>
> I don't know which program can do this for me. Would somebody please
> recommend one (or even two) to me, please.
>
> Thanks!

I've had good luck with gscan2pdf before. It's a GUI that handles
scanning and joining all in one.

It requires dev-lang/perl[ithreads] though which if you don't have
ithreads enabled already is a full Perl rebuild with perl-cleaner,
annoyingly.

Cheers,
Bryan
Re: Joining PDFs and/or jpegs together. Help, please! [ In reply to ]
If you use "convert"[1], you should use the parameter "-density" with a
decent value. "150" was always good enough for me:

    $ convert -density 150 *.png some_document.pdf

Also, XSane is capable of creating multipages, while scanning[2].

-Ramon

[1]
From the package "media-gfx/imagemagick" with its unusual man page,
written in HTML:

    $ xdg-open /usr/share/doc/imagemagick-*/html/index.html

[2] See attached screenshot, which I have shamelessly stolen from some
Spanish website. :)

On 25/11/2022 20:23, Dale wrote:
> convert front.png back.png duplex.pdf

--
GPG public key: 5983 98DA 5F4D A464 38FD CF87 155B E264 13E6 99BF