Mailing List Archive

Re: where is 'mke2fs' ? -- solved
221117 Matt Connell wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-11-17 at 21:41 +0100, Arve Barsnes wrote:
>> Might it be hidden behind USE="tools"?
> This is correct.

> $ equery uses e2fsprogs
> + + tools : Build extfs tools (mke2fs, e2fsck, tune2fs, etc.)
>
> Make sure you have the 'tools' USE flag enabled for e2fsprogs
> and it should be available in /sbin/

Yes : sometime ago the 'tools' flag must have been introduced
& since I don't format devices often, it didn't trip me up till now.
I've updated my notes.

I formatted the stick, copied the files it had before the damage,
then discovered that it was in fact physically bad,
so 'mke2fs' wasn't needed today. I used another formatted stick instead.

Thanx to both + Jack as well.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb