I can see disk activity, and the machine responds to CTRL-ALT-DEL as expected;
just no display.

Peter.
Re: Frame buffer setup [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 2 November 2022 15:20:14 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Would someone please remind me of what frame-buffer kernel settings I need
> for an i915 driver? I'm going round in circles, but whatever I try, this
> new laptop shows the initramfs-loaded message, then remains blank apart
> from that. I can see disk activity, and the machine responds to
> CTRL-ALT-DEL as expected; just no display.

Have a look at this page in general, paying special attention to this section:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel#Black_screen
Re: Frame buffer setup [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 2 November 2022 16:01:14 GMT Michael wrote:

> Have a look at this page in general, paying special attention to this
> section:
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel#Black_screen

Useful. Thanks Michael.

Peter.
Re: Frame buffer setup - SOLVED [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 2 November 2022 15:20:14 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Would someone please remind me of what frame-buffer kernel settings I need
> for an i915 driver? I'm going round in circles, but whatever I try, this
> new laptop shows the initramfs-loaded message, then remains blank apart
> from that. I can see disk activity, and the machine responds to
> CTRL-ALT-DEL as expected; just no display.

After much going round in circles, I found that all I had to do was to emerge
x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev. Why, on that machine and not on others, I can't
imagine.

Peter.