re-inventing the wheel?

thanks,

raffaele
Re: x11-bas/xorg-x11 removal [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Sat, 29 Oct 2022, ralfconn wrote:
>Rather than adding the whole x11-base/xorg-apps and x11-base/xorg-fonts, I'd
>like to build a list of the x11 utilities currently installed on my systems
>to add them to world in preparation of the xorg-x11 package removal.
>
>Is anybody aware of some ready to use tool for the purpose, without
>re-inventing the wheel?

for c in x11-base/ x11-apps/; do
eix '-I*' --format '<installedversions:NAMESLOT>' "$c"
done

HTH,
-dnh

--
panic("Oh boy, that early out of memory?");
linux-2.2.16/arch/mips/mm/init.c
Re: x11-bas/xorg-x11 removal [ In reply to ]
On 10/29/22 12:09, David Haller wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2022, ralfconn wrote:
>> Rather than adding the whole x11-base/xorg-apps and x11-base/xorg-fonts, I'd
>> like to build a list of the x11 utilities currently installed on my systems
>> to add them to world in preparation of the xorg-x11 package removal.
>>
>> Is anybody aware of some ready to use tool for the purpose, without
>> re-inventing the wheel?
> for c in x11-base/ x11-apps/; do
> eix '-I*' --format '<installedversions:NAMESLOT>' "$c"
> done
Wonderfully simple, thank you
Re: x11-bas/xorg-x11 removal [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 29 Oct 2022 12:47:38 +0200, ralfconn wrote:

> On 10/29/22 12:09, David Haller wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Oct 2022, ralfconn wrote:
> >> Rather than adding the whole x11-base/xorg-apps and
> >> x11-base/xorg-fonts, I'd like to build a list of the x11 utilities
> >> currently installed on my systems to add them to world in
> >> preparation of the xorg-x11 package removal.
> >>
> >> Is anybody aware of some ready to use tool for the purpose, without
> >> re-inventing the wheel?
> > for c in x11-base/ x11-apps/; do
> > eix '-I*' --format '<installedversions:NAMESLOT>' "$c"
> > done
> Wonderfully simple, thank you

qlist -IC | grep -e x11-base -e x11-apps -e x11-fonts >/etc/portage/sets/x11
emerge -n @x11

Saves filling @world with dozens of x11 entries.

--
Neil Bothwick

Having children will turn you into your parents.
Re: x11-bas/xorg-x11 removal [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 11:39:47PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote

> qlist -IC | grep -e x11-base -e x11-apps -e x11-fonts >/etc/portage/sets/x11
> emerge -n @x11
>
> Saves filling @world with dozens of x11 entries.

1) Has /var/lib/portage/set_name been deprecated?

2) Will items in /etc/portage/sets/<whatever> be automatically updated
each time you update world?

--
I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
frames, the first Browser Wars. Searching for pages with AltaVista,
Re: x11-bas/xorg-x11 removal [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 at 22:12, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 11:39:47PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
> >
> > qlist -IC | grep -e x11-base -e x11-apps -e x11-fonts >/etc/portage/sets/x11
> > emerge -n @x11
> >
> > Saves filling @world with dozens of x11 entries.
>
> 1) Has /var/lib/portage/set_name been deprecated?

No. The new default is now /var/lib/portage. Check your
/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf if you're in doubt about where
your main repo is.

> 2) Will items in /etc/portage/sets/<whatever> be automatically updated
> each time you update world?

What kind of updates would that be? You never update world, it is a
registry of what packages you have installed, generally, not a
specific version. A set would be the same.

Regards,
Arve
Re: x11-bas/xorg-x11 removal [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 22:32:34 +0100, Arve Barsnes wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 at 22:12, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 11:39:47PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
> > >
> > > qlist -IC | grep -e x11-base -e x11-apps -e x11-fonts
> > >
> > > Saves filling @world with dozens of x11 entries.
> >
> > 1) Has /var/lib/portage/set_name been deprecated?
>
> No. The new default is now /var/lib/portage. Check your
> /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf if you're in doubt about where
> your main repo is.

When did that happen? The portage man page still shows /etc/portage/sets/
as the location for user-defined sets.

> > 2) Will items in /etc/portage/sets/<whatever> be automatically
> > updated each time you update world?

Provided the set is in world_sets, all packages in it will be treated as
if they were in @world for updates.

--
Neil Bothwick

Guns don't kill people--it's those little pieces of lead.
Re: x11-bas/xorg-x11 removal [ In reply to ]
On Monday, 31 October 2022 23:06:18 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 22:32:34 +0100, Arve Barsnes wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 at 22:12, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
wrote:
> > > On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 11:39:47PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote

> > > 1) Has /var/lib/portage/set_name been deprecated?
> >
> > No. The new default is now /var/lib/portage. Check your
> > /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf if you're in doubt about where
> > your main repo is.
>
> When did that happen? The portage man page still shows /etc/portage/sets/
> as the location for user-defined sets.

There seems to be some confusion here. /var/lib/portage is where portage
stores things; /etc/portage is where you store portage things.

> > > 2) Will items in /etc/portage/sets/<whatever> be automatically
> > > updated each time you update world?
>
> Provided the set is in world_sets, all packages in it will be treated as
> if they were in @world for updates.

In my case, nearly all the packages I want installed are specified in 6 sets in
/etc/portage/sets/<set-name>. When I emerge one of those sets, portage adds it
to /var/lib/portage/world_sets, just as any package I emerge specifically goes
into /var/lib/portage/world. In fact my world file has just three entries at
the moment: things I'm trying before they're moved to a set.

Neat and tidy.

[OT]

This scheme may seem backwards; I started it when I was going through a great
many reinstallations and wanted to go methodically, one step at a time. First
a core set, then a broader base set, then xorg, plasma and apps. The
appropriate profile would be set for each stage. I'd set up the kernel config
after the core, so that the rest of the base packages had proper kernel
settings to read. That gave me a bootable system and I'd finish the job in the
new system itself.

Peter.
Re: x11-bas/xorg-x11 removal [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 1 Nov 2022 at 09:44, Peter Humphrey <peter@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> > > No. The new default is now /var/lib/portage. Check your
> > > /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf if you're in doubt about where
> > > your main repo is.
> >
> > When did that happen? The portage man page still shows /etc/portage/sets/
> > as the location for user-defined sets.
>
> There seems to be some confusion here. /var/lib/portage is where portage
> stores things; /etc/portage is where you store portage things.

Indeed, this was my mistake. Has /var/lib/portage/ ever been possible
for sets? Since the world file is there, I could see an initial
implementation choosing that as the logical destination, but I have no
memory of it.

Regards,
Arve
Re: x11-bas/xorg-x11 removal [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 1 November 2022 09:58:25 GMT Arve Barsnes wrote:

> ... Has /var/lib/portage/ ever been possible for sets? Since the world file
> is there, I could see an initial implementation choosing that as the logical
> destination, but I have no memory of it.

Likewise my memory. I doubt it was ever advisable to store any user file under
/var/lib/ -- I'm sure it would cause terrible confusion at some stage. :)

Peter.