Mailing List Archive

[SOLVED] rsync local mirror question
On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 11:07:14PM +0100, Michael wrote

> No, you shouldn't have to do any such thing. Just make sure you
> have set up in your '/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf' the correct
> rsync mirror and commented out the server on the Internet; e.g.:

OK, I tried it on my other used Lenovo laptop (thimk2) and it works.
But "inquiring minds want to know"...

* In your instructions '/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf' is the file
to change sync-uri in (and it works).

* In https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Local_Mirror the file to change is
given as /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo-mirror.conf There is no such
file on my system. Should I file a documentation bug?

--
I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
frames, the first Browser Wars. Searching for pages with AltaVista,
Re: [SOLVED] rsync local mirror question [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 26 October 2022 16:48:29 BST Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 11:07:14PM +0100, Michael wrote
>
> > No, you shouldn't have to do any such thing. Just make sure you
> > have set up in your '/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf' the correct
>
> > rsync mirror and commented out the server on the Internet; e.g.:
> OK, I tried it on my other used Lenovo laptop (thimk2) and it works.
> But "inquiring minds want to know"...
>
> * In your instructions '/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf' is the file
> to change sync-uri in (and it works).
>
> * In https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Local_Mirror the file to change is
> given as /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo-mirror.conf There is no such
> file on my system. Should I file a documentation bug?

Yes, I think it should be updated. This wiki page states what's currently the
convention:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Portage/
Files#Gentoo_ebuild_repository

However, *.conf files can be nested and portage will parse them all the same.
Re: [SOLVED] rsync local mirror question [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 05:42:24PM +0100, Michael wrote
> On Wednesday, 26 October 2022 16:48:29 BST Walter Dnes wrote:

> > * In https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Local_Mirror the file to change is
> > given as /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo-mirror.conf There is no such
> > file on my system. Should I file a documentation bug?
>
> Yes, I think it should be updated.

Problem; "https://bugs.gentoo.org/enter_bug.cgi" specifically says
"Documentation: Documentation other than Wiki and translations."
The documentation problem is on the wiki page. Now what?

Re: [SOLVED] rsync local mirror question [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 27 October 2022 01:24:24 BST Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 05:42:24PM +0100, Michael wrote
>
> > On Wednesday, 26 October 2022 16:48:29 BST Walter Dnes wrote:
> > > * In https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Local_Mirror the file to change is
> > > given as /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo-mirror.conf There is no such
> > > file on my system. Should I file a documentation bug?
> >
> > Yes, I think it should be updated.
>
> Problem; "https://bugs.gentoo.org/enter_bug.cgi" specifically says
> "Documentation: Documentation other than Wiki and translations."
> The documentation problem is on the wiki page. Now what?

I suppose you create an account and edit it? Or see if you can reach out to
the last contributor and perhaps he will correct it:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Ris