Mailing List Archive

Re: problems emerging some ruby packages (almost solved)
On 2022.10.12 01:18, Arve Barsnes wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 at 02:12, Jack <ostroffjh@users.sourceforge.net>
> wrote:
>> As I said in my reply to Neil, why would this happen in just a
>> handful of packages, but not in over thirty others? mini_mime is
>> the other problem package, and it does not use ruby_add_bdepend so
>> there is only one line with USE_RUBY: 'USE_RUBY="ruby26 ruby27
>> ruby30 ruby31"'.
> >
>> So - why is ruby31 disabled for (so far) only these two packages?
>> (The other packages which are failing depend on one of these two.)
>
> Maybe these two are just written more strict? I'm unable to read the
> eclass to determine how it masks these flags on a stable system on
> these packages, it will happily install it with ruby31 on my unstable
> system, but you can try to unmask the flag in
> /etc/portage/package.use.mask
>
> dev-ruby/thor -ruby_targets_ruby31
Well, this almost did the trick. That file has to be in
/etc/portage/profile. Just having it in /etc/portage did not work. It
turns out the masking of ruby_targets_ruby30 and ruby_targets_ruby31 is
in /usr/portage/profiles/base/use.stable.mask. I still have no idea
why ruby31 was masked for these two packages (thor and mini_mime) but
not for over thirty other dev-ruby packages I have installed.

My next issue is that I installed several packages with -O (skip
dependencies) so now I have to work my way through finding all the
uninstalled dependencies I skipped, many of which will need to be
unmasked as they are testing.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support, and I'll report back either
when it's all done or if I find another blockage.

Jack