Mailing List Archive

[RESOLVED] Change History of linux commands
Am 07.10.22 um 16:25 schrieb n952162:
> Can anybody tell me how I can look at the official change history of
> linux commands?
>
> For example, the test(1) command used to have a regular-expression
> parser built in.  No longer, and more surprising, there's no discussion
> of its disappearance on the internet; that I can find, at any rate.
>
> I'd to know when it disappeared and what discussions, by whom, preceded
> that.

Sorry, I'm thinking of the expr(1) command.
Re: [RESOLVED] Change History of linux commands [ In reply to ]
(resending with correct From: address)
n952162 <n952162@web.de> writes:

> Am 07.10.22 um 16:25 schrieb n952162:
>> Can anybody tell me how I can look at the official change history of
>> linux commands?
>>
>> For example, the test(1) command used to have a regular-expression
>> parser built in.  No longer, and more surprising, there's no discussion
>> of its disappearance on the internet; that I can find, at any rate.
>>
>> I'd to know when it disappeared and what discussions, by whom, preceded
>> that.

> Sorry, I'm thinking of the expr(1) command.

The man pages (and source code) of old versions of UNIX can be found at

https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl

e.g. ("man 1 expr" from Jan 1992)
https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V10/man/man1/expr.1

For more human readable output
$ cd tmp
$ cat > oldman.1
<copy and paste>
$ man ./oldman.1

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience