Mailing List Archive

opencl runtime
This message showed up after an update today:

* Messages for package virtual/opencl-3-r2:

*
* In order to take advantage of OpenCL you will need a runtime for your
hardware.
* Currently included in Gentoo are:
*
* * open:
* - dev-libs/intel-compute-runtime - integrated Intel GPUs from Broadwell
onwards. 64-bit only;
* - dev-libs/pocl - to run OpenCL programs on your CPU, if you do not
have a supported GPU;
* - dev-libs/rocm-opencl-runtime - AMD GPUs supported by the amdgpu
kernel driver. 64-bit only;
* - media-libs/mesa[opencl] - some older AMD GPUs; see [1]. 32-bit
support;
*
* * proprietary:
* - dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl - AMD Polaris GPUs. 32-bit support;
* - dev-util/intel-ocl-sdk - Intel CPUs (*not* GPUs). 64-bit only;
* - x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers[uvm] - Nvidia GPUs; specific package
versions
* required for older devices [2]. 32-bit support.
*
* [1] https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumCompute/
* [2] https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/legacy-gpu/

On a number of stable systems with a selection of different Northern Islands
to Sea Islands APUs/GPUs, I have media-libs/mesa installed in as a dependency.
Given the above message and noticing dev-libs/rocm-opencl-runtime is still in
testing, am I meant to keyword it and install it manually, or will it replace
mesa automagically some day in the future when marked as stable?
Re: opencl runtime [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 4 October 2022 11:15:44 BST Michael wrote:

> On a number of stable systems with a selection of different Northern Islands
> to Sea Islands APUs/GPUs, I have media-libs/mesa installed in as a
> dependency. Given the above message and noticing
> dev-libs/rocm-opencl-runtime is still in testing, am I meant to keyword it
> and install it manually, or will it replace mesa automagically some day in
> the future when marked as stable?

You need to add it to package.keywords. I've been running like that for some
years, to enable GPU processing of BOINC projects on an AMD Radeon Pro
WX5100.

Peter.
Re: opencl runtime [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 4 October 2022 12:49:09 BST peter@prh.myzen.co.uk wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 October 2022 11:15:44 BST Michael wrote:
> > On a number of stable systems with a selection of different Northern
> > Islands to Sea Islands APUs/GPUs, I have media-libs/mesa installed in as
> > a dependency. Given the above message and noticing
> > dev-libs/rocm-opencl-runtime is still in testing, am I meant to keyword it
> > and install it manually, or will it replace mesa automagically some day in
> > the future when marked as stable?
>
> You need to add it to package.keywords. I've been running like that for some
> years, to enable GPU processing of BOINC projects on an AMD Radeon Pro
> WX5100.

Thanks Peter, I've keyworded it along with half a dozen of other dependencies
it dragged in and it is emerging now. Will mesa still be required, or are the
two packages used for different purposes and can co-exist?
Re: opencl runtime [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 4 October 2022 23:24:54 BST Michael wrote:

> Thanks Peter, I've keyworded it along with half a dozen of other
> dependencies it dragged in and it is emerging now. Will mesa still be
> required, or are the two packages used for different purposes and can
> co-exist?

I don't know what mesa is supposed to do, other than what eix tells me. I
don't think there's any overlap. Co-existence is good, no?

$ emerge -cpv mesa

Calculating dependencies ... done!
media-libs/mesa-22.2.0 pulled in by:
app-office/libreoffice-7.3.6.2 requires media-libs/mesa[egl(+)]
dev-libs/rocm-opencl-runtime-5.1.3 requires media-libs/mesa
kde-plasma/kwin-5.25.5 requires >=media-libs/
mesa-21.1[egl(+),gbm(+),wayland,X]
media-libs/gst-plugins-base-1.20.3 requires >=media-libs/
mesa-9.0[egl(+),abi_x86_64(-)]
media-libs/libepoxy-1.5.10-r1 requires media-libs/
mesa[egl(+),abi_x86_64(-)]
net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.38.0 requires media-libs/mesa[egl(+)]
virtual/opengl-7.0-r2 requires >=media-libs/mesa-9.1.6[X(+),abi_x86_64(-)]
www-client/firefox-105.0.1 requires media-libs/mesa
x11-apps/mesa-progs-8.5.0 requires media-libs/mesa[abi_x86_64(-),egl(+),X]
x11-base/xorg-server-21.1.4 requires >=media-libs/
mesa-18[X(+),egl(+),gbm(+)]
x11-base/xwayland-22.1.3 requires >=media-libs/
mesa-21.1[X(+),egl(+),gbm(+)]
x11-libs/cairo-1.16.0-r5 requires >=media-libs/
mesa-9.1.6[egl(+),X(+),abi_x86_64(-)]
x11-libs/gtk+-3.24.34 requires media-libs/mesa[X(+),abi_x86_64(-)]

Peter.