Mailing List Archive

problem with emerge depclean after world update
Hi. So, when I tried to do my emerge depclean after my world update,
which went through with no problems, I get the following message:

Calculating dependencies... done!
* Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
* the following required packages not being installed:
*
* >=app-text/poppler-0.16.0:0/123=[cairo] pulled in by:
* app-misc/tracker-miners-3.4.0

But I have:

ebuild R ] app-text/poppler-22.09.0:0/124::gentoo USE="cairo cxx
introspection jpeg jpeg2k lcms png qt5 tiff utils -boost -cjk -curl
-debug -doc -nss -verify-sig"
and
ebuild R ] app-misc/tracker-miners-3.4.0:3::gentoo USE="exif gif
gstreamer iso jpeg networkmanager pdf playlist rss (seccomp) tiff
upower xml -cue -ffmpeg -gsf -iptc -raw -test -xmp -xps"

So, what have I done wrong this time -- or is it some kind of bug
somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: problem with emerge depclean after world update [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 30 Sept 2022 at 20:47, John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> Hi. So, when I tried to do my emerge depclean after my world update,
> which went through with no problems, I get the following message:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> * Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
> * the following required packages not being installed:
> *
> * >=app-text/poppler-0.16.0:0/123=[cairo] pulled in by:
> * app-misc/tracker-miners-3.4.0
>
> But I have:
>
> ebuild R ] app-text/poppler-22.09.0:0/124::gentoo USE="cairo cxx
> introspection jpeg jpeg2k lcms png qt5 tiff utils -boost -cjk -curl
> -debug -doc -nss -verify-sig"
> and
> ebuild R ] app-misc/tracker-miners-3.4.0:3::gentoo USE="exif gif
> gstreamer iso jpeg networkmanager pdf playlist rss (seccomp) tiff
> upower xml -cue -ffmpeg -gsf -iptc -raw -test -xmp -xps"
>
> So, what have I done wrong this time -- or is it some kind of bug
> somewhere?

Probably a temporary problem. app-misc/tracker-miners requires a
version of app-text/poppler with subslot 123, but only ones with
subslot 122 and 124 currently exists in tree (as of my tree synced
within the last 24 hours). I'm sure that'll resolve itself at some
point one way or another.

Regards,
Arve
Re: problem with emerge depclean after world update [ In reply to ]
OK, thanks. I will try an update after a couple of days.

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 15:05:43 -0400,
Arve Barsnes wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sept 2022 at 20:47, John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi. So, when I tried to do my emerge depclean after my world update,
> > which went through with no problems, I get the following message:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies... done!
> > * Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
> > * the following required packages not being installed:
> > *
> > * >=app-text/poppler-0.16.0:0/123=[cairo] pulled in by:
> > * app-misc/tracker-miners-3.4.0
> >
> > But I have:
> >
> > ebuild R ] app-text/poppler-22.09.0:0/124::gentoo USE="cairo cxx
> > introspection jpeg jpeg2k lcms png qt5 tiff utils -boost -cjk -curl
> > -debug -doc -nss -verify-sig"
> > and
> > ebuild R ] app-misc/tracker-miners-3.4.0:3::gentoo USE="exif gif
> > gstreamer iso jpeg networkmanager pdf playlist rss (seccomp) tiff
> > upower xml -cue -ffmpeg -gsf -iptc -raw -test -xmp -xps"
> >
> > So, what have I done wrong this time -- or is it some kind of bug
> > somewhere?
>
> Probably a temporary problem. app-misc/tracker-miners requires a
> version of app-text/poppler with subslot 123, but only ones with
> subslot 122 and 124 currently exists in tree (as of my tree synced
> within the last 24 hours). I'm sure that'll resolve itself at some
> point one way or another.
>
> Regards,
> Arve

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: problem with emerge depclean after world update [ In reply to ]
On 30/09/2022 20:05, Arve Barsnes wrote:
> Probably a temporary problem. app-misc/tracker-miners requires a
> version of app-text/poppler with subslot 123, but only ones with
> subslot 122 and 124 currently exists in tree (as of my tree synced
> within the last 24 hours). I'm sure that'll resolve itself at some
> point one way or another.

Hmm ...

I've noticed that --depclean hardly seems to be cleaning anything out
now. Despite regular emerge updates. I do an emerge update world every
week, followed immediately by a depclean, but it's probably cleaned
maybe one or two packages in the last month? Despite updating loads? Is
that normal?

(Although I've not had any problems with depclean that a --bdeps didn't
resolve)

Cheers,
Wol
Re: problem with emerge depclean after world update [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 15:36:10 -0400,
Wol wrote:

> On 30/09/2022 20:05, Arve Barsnes wrote:
> > Probably a temporary problem. app-misc/tracker-miners requires a
> > version of app-text/poppler with subslot 123, but only ones with
> > subslot 122 and 124 currently exists in tree (as of my tree synced
> > within the last 24 hours). I'm sure that'll resolve itself at some
> > point one way or another.
>
> Hmm ...
>
> I've noticed that --depclean hardly seems to be cleaning anything
> out now. Despite regular emerge updates. I do an emerge update
> world every week, followed immediately by a depclean, but it's
> probably cleaned maybe one or two packages in the last month?
> Despite updating loads? Is that normal?
>
> (Although I've not had any problems with depclean that a --bdeps
> didn't resolve)

Thank goodness for small favors from portage! I think more
dependencies are brought in automatically.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: problem with emerge depclean after world update [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2022-09-30 at 20:36 +0100, Wol wrote:
> I've noticed that --depclean hardly seems to be cleaning anything out
> now. Despite regular emerge updates. I do an emerge update world every
> week, followed immediately by a depclean, but it's probably cleaned
> maybe one or two packages in the last month? Despite updating loads? Is
> that normal?

Unless the dependencies of a package change (or you changed the
resulting set of dependencies via USE changes), they aren't usually a
whole lot of deps to clean. That's my experience anyway. When I'm
flailing around a lot in package.use I'll have dozens but otherwise its
usually just one or two here and there.
Re: problem with emerge depclean after world update [ In reply to ]
On 30/09/2022 20:46, Matt Connell wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-09-30 at 20:36 +0100, Wol wrote:
>> I've noticed that --depclean hardly seems to be cleaning anything out
>> now. Despite regular emerge updates. I do an emerge update world every
>> week, followed immediately by a depclean, but it's probably cleaned
>> maybe one or two packages in the last month? Despite updating loads? Is
>> that normal?
>
> Unless the dependencies of a package change (or you changed the
> resulting set of dependencies via USE changes), they aren't usually a
> whole lot of deps to clean. That's my experience anyway. When I'm
> flailing around a lot in package.use I'll have dozens but otherwise its
> usually just one or two here and there.

Does that mean an update typically cleans a replaced package
automagically? I thought that usually they got left behind and that was
why you needed depclean - to remove all the old versions?

Certainly that's what I remember of depclean of old - the list of stuff
being cleaned was mostly old versions of what was installed.

Cheers,
Wol
Re: problem with emerge depclean after world update [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 30 Sept 2022 at 22:27, Wol <antlists@youngman.org.uk> wrote:
> Does that mean an update typically cleans a replaced package
> automagically? I thought that usually they got left behind and that was
> why you needed depclean - to remove all the old versions?
>
> Certainly that's what I remember of depclean of old - the list of stuff
> being cleaned was mostly old versions of what was installed.

I don't remember that, although my memory might be less than stellar.

Unless a package is slotted, an update replaces the old version, and
hence nothing to depclean.

Cheers,
Arve
Re: problem with emerge depclean after world update [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 21:27:16 +0100, Wol wrote:

> Does that mean an update typically cleans a replaced package
> automagically? I thought that usually they got left behind and that was
> why you needed depclean - to remove all the old versions?
>
> Certainly that's what I remember of depclean of old - the list of stuff
> being cleaned was mostly old versions of what was installed.

That is when updates to slotted packages are installed, wait until the
next llvm/clang update. Old versions of a package in the same slot, or
slot 0 for unslotted packages, are replaced with the new one, but new
slots cause the behaviour you have seen.

--
Neil Bothwick

Why is there an expiration date on sour cream?
Re: problem with emerge depclean after world update [ In reply to ]
On 2022-09-30, John Covici wrote:

> Hi. So, when I tried to do my emerge depclean after my world update,
> which went through with no problems, I get the following message:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> * Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
> * the following required packages not being installed:
> *
> * >=app-text/poppler-0.16.0:0/123=[cairo] pulled in by:
> * app-misc/tracker-miners-3.4.0
>
> But I have:
>
> ebuild R ] app-text/poppler-22.09.0:0/124::gentoo USE="cairo cxx
> introspection jpeg jpeg2k lcms png qt5 tiff utils -boost -cjk -curl
> -debug -doc -nss -verify-sig"
> and
> ebuild R ] app-misc/tracker-miners-3.4.0:3::gentoo USE="exif gif
> gstreamer iso jpeg networkmanager pdf playlist rss (seccomp) tiff
> upower xml -cue -ffmpeg -gsf -iptc -raw -test -xmp -xps"
>
> So, what have I done wrong this time -- or is it some kind of bug
> somewhere?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

When was tracker-miners-3.4.0 last built? It RDEPENDS on [1]:

">=app-text/poppler-0.16.0:=[cairo]"

So if tracker-miners was built with poppler:0/123, and if I'm
understanding "man 5 ebuild" correctly, it will require a 0/123-slotted
version of poppler to be installed. Given that tracker-miners accepts
any later version, rebuilding it will hopefully be enough.

[1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/app-misc/tracker-miners/tracker-miners-3.4.0.ebuild#n47

--
Nuno Silva
Re: problem with emerge depclean after world update [ In reply to ]
On 2022-09-30, Wol <antlists@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> Does that mean an update typically cleans a replaced package
> automagically?

Yes (except for slotted packages). A "normal" upgrade emerge removes
the old version.

> I thought that usually they got left behind and that was
> why you needed depclean - to remove all the old versions?

Nope (except sometimes for slotted packages).

Depclean is for clearing out stuff that was installed automagically as
a dependancy but now doesn't need to be installed at all because

1. Whataver pulled it in as dependency got manually removed.

2. A package's dependencies got changed.

> Certainly that's what I remember of depclean of old - the list of stuff
> being cleaned was mostly old versions of what was installed.

That happens for slotted packages and for things like kernel sources.

On my systems, the only things that typically get removed by depclean
are old versions of gentoo-sources and the occasional old slot of
binutils (or whatever).

--
Grant