you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: seems lots of packages no longer in the tree [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 25 Sept 2022 at 16:04, John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> Hi. I updated the tree yesterday using git. Now, in this mornings
> batch of announcements, I am finding lots of packages no longer in the
> tree -- one of them is app-admin/logcheck . Another is rxvt. Now, I
> don't use these packages, but I am wondering if something has gone
> wrong with my tree?

I don't have either of those packages in my tree, so we're in the same
boat. I don't know about rxvt (rxvt-unicode is still in the tree), but
logcheck was lastrited on the gentoo-dev mailing list a while back, so
I assume it was expected to disappear.

Regards,
Arve
Re: seems lots of packages no longer in the tree [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2022-09-25 at 10:04 -0400, John Covici wrote:
> Hi. I updated the tree yesterday using git. Now, in this mornings
> batch of announcements, I am finding lots of packages no longer in the
> tree -- one of them is app-admin/logcheck . Another is rxvt. Now, I
> don't use these packages, but I am wondering if something has gone
> wrong with my tree?

Logcheck was removed because it had a security issue that I reported
five years ago and nobody has cared enough to fix it since then. It was
package.masked for a while too and nobody complained.

x11-terms/rxvt was not removed recently. Do you mean mrxvt? If so, I
think it was removed for a similar reason:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/791004
Re: seems lots of packages no longer in the tree [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 10:33:57 -0400,
Arve Barsnes wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Sept 2022 at 16:04, John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi. I updated the tree yesterday using git. Now, in this mornings
> > batch of announcements, I am finding lots of packages no longer in the
> > tree -- one of them is app-admin/logcheck . Another is rxvt. Now, I
> > don't use these packages, but I am wondering if something has gone
> > wrong with my tree?
>
> I don't have either of those packages in my tree, so we're in the same
> boat. I don't know about rxvt (rxvt-unicode is still in the tree), but
> logcheck was lastrited on the gentoo-dev mailing list a while back, so
> I assume it was expected to disappear.
But they had an announcement about a bug fix to logcheck and there are
others like dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin which seems strange to me.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: seems lots of packages no longer in the tree [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 10:38:49 -0400,
Michael Orlitzky wrote:

> On Sun, 2022-09-25 at 10:04 -0400, John Covici wrote:
> > Hi. I updated the tree yesterday using git. Now, in this mornings
> > batch of announcements, I am finding lots of packages no longer in the
> > tree -- one of them is app-admin/logcheck . Another is rxvt. Now, I
> > don't use these packages, but I am wondering if something has gone
> > wrong with my tree?
> >

> Logcheck was removed because it had a security issue that I reported
> five years ago and nobody has cared enough to fix it since then. It was
> package.masked for a while too and nobody complained.
>
> x11-terms/rxvt was not removed recently. Do you mean mrxvt? If so, I
> think it was removed for a similar reason:
>
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/791004

It was mrxvt. But why would the announcement list specify valid
versions for those packages, if they have been removed?

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: seems lots of packages no longer in the tree [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 11:07:38 -0400, John Covici wrote:

> > think it was removed for a similar reason:
> >
> > https://bugs.gentoo.org/791004
> >
> It was mrxvt. But why would the announcement list specify valid
> versions for those packages, if they have been removed?

It specifies the affected versions that were in the tree, probably
because those are what people may have installed. It also states "

Resolution
==========

Gentoo has discontinued support for Mrxvt. We recommend that users
remove it:

# emerge --ask --depclean "x11-terms/mrxvt"

with similar recommendations for the other packages you mention, except
for oracle-jdk where it recommends alternatives.

--
Neil Bothwick

ISDN: It Still Does Nothing
Re: seems lots of packages no longer in the tree [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 16:16:41 -0400,
Neil Bothwick wrote:

> [1 <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 11:07:38 -0400, John Covici wrote:
>
> > > think it was removed for a similar reason:
> > >
> > > https://bugs.gentoo.org/791004
> > >
> > It was mrxvt. But why would the announcement list specify valid
> > versions for those packages, if they have been removed?
>
> It specifies the affected versions that were in the tree, probably
> because those are what people may have installed. It also states "
>
> Resolution
> ==========
>
> Gentoo has discontinued support for Mrxvt. We recommend that users
> remove it:
>
> # emerge --ask --depclean "x11-terms/mrxvt"
>
> with similar recommendations for the other packages you mention, except
> for oracle-jdk where it recommends alternatives.

OK, I usually don't read past the effected packages part, so I didn't
see those recomendations -- thanks.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
RE: seems lots of packages no longer in the tree [ In reply to ]

>with similar recommendations for the other packages you mention, except for oracle-jdk where it recommends alternatives.
>

>--
>Neil Bothwick
>
>ISDN: It Still Does Nothing

In Oracle's case, they're doing their very best to turn the licensing for every one of their products into a minefield underneath a quagmire with prices only a major corporation can afford. I'm not surprised nobody wants it around anymore.

LMP