layout= setting of /etc/kernel/install.conf.'

My openrc boxes have no such install.conf file. Do I need to create one?

Peter.
Re: systemd-boot on an openrc system [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter,

long story short: AFAICT it's a deprecated or moved configuration entry inside
the file /etc/machine-info and should be safe to just delete, maybe even with
the whole file machine-info itself.

On my machine with openrc and systemd-boot I don't even have /etc/machine-info
at all and things work fine together. To me it looks as the variable was just
thrown out of the machine-info file and in case you would need it you should
put it into /etc/kernel/install.conf.

I don't know which software uses the string. If you compile your kernel
manually or using the gentoo-kernel packages it seems to be not necessary.

(But as always when taking advice from strangers on the internet: First make a
backup, have a live medium for recovery at hand and test it yourself.)

Kind regards,
Nils
Re: systemd-boot on an openrc system [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 28 September 2022 12:05:19 BST Nils Freydank wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> long story short: AFAICT it's a deprecated or moved configuration entry
> inside the file /etc/machine-info and should be safe to just delete, maybe
> even with the whole file machine-info itself.
>
> On my machine with openrc and systemd-boot I don't even have
> /etc/machine-info at all and things work fine together. To me it looks as
> the variable was just thrown out of the machine-info file and in case you
> would need it you should put it into /etc/kernel/install.conf.
>
> I don't know which software uses the string. If you compile your kernel
> manually or using the gentoo-kernel packages it seems to be not necessary.
>
> (But as always when taking advice from strangers on the internet: First make
> a backup, have a live medium for recovery at hand and test it yourself.)

Thanks Nils.

Looking more carefully, I see only one machine has an /etc/machine-info. I've
moved it and I no longer get the warning. Simple as that, eh?

Peter.
Re: systemd-boot on an openrc system [ In reply to ]
On 28/09/2022 15:20, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Looking more carefully, I see only one machine has an /etc/machine-info.

I'm on systemd (openrc is not installed at all), and I don't have
/etc/machine-info. And /etc/kernel/install.d/ is empty.