Mailing List Archive

Is it possible to make Gentoo LiveGUI ISO image GUI environment look like Windows 10/11?
Subject: Is it possible to make Gentoo LiveGUI ISO image GUI
environment look like Windows 10/11?

Good day from Singapore,

Is it possible to make Gentoo LiveGUI ISO image GUI environment look
like Windows 10/11?

I believe many people will find Linux easy to use (user friendly) if
the GUI environment looks like Windows 10/11.

It will also drive up the number of downloads and installations.

Post: New Gentoo LiveGUI ISO and artwork / branding contest!
Link: https://www.gentoo.org/news/2022/04/03/livegui-artwork-contest.html

Thank you.

Regards,

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Targeted Individual in Singapore
5 Aug 2022 Friday
Blogs:
https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.com
https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com
Re: Is it possible to make Gentoo LiveGUI ISO image GUI environment look like Windows 10/11? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 15:30:37 +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:

> I believe many people will find Linux easy to use (user friendly) if
> the GUI environment looks like Windows 10/11.

The problem with that is Gentoo is not supposed to be easy to use, it is
a "power user"'s distro. Sucking someone in with the guise of being like
Windows is only likely to put them off Linux once they read page 1 of the
installation instructions.

There are distros that aim to be easy to use for Windows users, Gentoo is
not one of them.

--
Neil Bothwick

Don't be humble, you're not that great.
Re: Is it possible to make Gentoo LiveGUI ISO image GUI environment look like Windows 10/11? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 15:40, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 15:30:37 +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
>
> > I believe many people will find Linux easy to use (user friendly) if
> > the GUI environment looks like Windows 10/11.
>
> The problem with that is Gentoo is not supposed to be easy to use, it is
> a "power user"'s distro. Sucking someone in with the guise of being like
> Windows is only likely to put them off Linux once they read page 1 of the
> installation instructions.
>
> There are distros that aim to be easy to use for Windows users, Gentoo is
> not one of them.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> Don't be humble, you're not that great.

Noted with thanks.

Re: Is it possible to make Gentoo LiveGUI ISO image GUI environment look like Windows 10/11? [ In reply to ]
220805 Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 15:40, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 15:30:37 +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
>>> I believe many people will find Linux easy to use (user friendly)
>>> if the GUI environment looks like Windows 10/11.
>> The problem with that is Gentoo is not supposed to be easy to use,
>> it is a "power user"'s distro.
>> Sucking someone in with the guise of being like Windows
>> is only likely to put them off Linux once they read page 1
>> of the installation instructions.
>> There are distros that aim to be easy to use for Windows users,
>> Gentoo is not one of them.
> Noted with thanks.

Mint Linux with its Cinnamon desktop is probably what you want.

Gentoo is typically for people who build their own machines
& want to choose their own selection of software to install in them.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
Re: Is it possible to make Gentoo LiveGUI ISO image GUI environment look like Windows 10/11? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 17:40, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> 220805 Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> >> The problem with that is Gentoo is not supposed to be easy to use,
> >> it is a "power user"'s distro.
> >> Sucking someone in with the guise of being like Windows
> >> is only likely to put them off Linux once they read page 1
> >> of the installation instructions.
> >> There are distros that aim to be easy to use for Windows users,
> >> Gentoo is not one of them.
> > Noted with thanks.
>
> Mint Linux with its Cinnamon desktop is probably what you want.
>
> Gentoo is typically for people who build their own machines
> & want to choose their own selection of software to install in them.

Hi there,

You mean Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop LOOKS VERY MUCH like Windows 10/11?

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Targeted Individual in Singapore
> > On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 15:30:37 +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> >
> > > I believe many people will find Linux easy to use (user friendly) if
> > > the GUI environment looks like Windows 10/11.
> >
> > The problem with that is Gentoo is not supposed to be easy to use, it
> > is a "power user"'s distro. Sucking someone in with the guise of being
> > like Windows is only likely to put them off Linux once they read page
> > 1 of the installation instructions.
> >
> > There are distros that aim to be easy to use for Windows users, Gentoo
> > is not one of them.
> >

> > --
> > Neil Bothwick
> >
> > Don't be humble, you're not that great.
>
> Noted with thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
> Targeted Individual in Singapore

Now, that said, if you're willing to do all the maintenance work for them to keep the system behaving the way they need it to, then yes.
My mother is half-blind and for years I kept her old machine running with a Linux OS configured to look like Windows XP because she did a lot based on color and screen position.
For the Windows 10 look you'll need a window manager that has a nice menu available. Something with searching built in, and with good theming support.
Then you just need to sort out your custom theme. Don't try to distribute it though, MS will likely get twitchy and sue you if you do too good a job.

Note that KDE already has a reasonably Windowsy feel to it. A lot of users might be happy with that.
Although, over the years I've noticed that as long as the menu search function will match on keywords as well as just exact program names that's usually enough. The rest of the appearance details matter a lot less.

LMP