Like is pulseaudio going to disappear so I will have do switch anyway?
Is pipewire that new that it'll be buggy for the years to come?

Regards
Re: pulseaudio - pipewire [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2022-08-03 at 18:17 +0200, hitachi303 wrote:
> I care about having sound but don't care to much about how it is
> working. Any suggestions which path will lead me to the goal of having
> the least trouble in future?

If you're using pulse now and things are working, then stick with
pulse.

If nothing on your system is dependent on pipewire, you've nothing to
gain (right now) from changing.

That's my approach, I'm in a similar position of wanting the least
friction.
Re: pulseaudio - pipewire [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 9:15 AM hitachi303 <gentoo-user@konstantinhansen.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> so there is a eselect news "2022-07-29-pipewire-sound-server" telling
> that changes have been made.
>
> I care about having sound but don't care to much about how it is
> working. Any suggestions which path will lead me to the goal of having
> the least trouble in future?
> Like is pulseaudio going to disappear so I will have do switch anyway?
> Is pipewire that new that it'll be buggy for the years to come?
>
> Regards

Many other distros are using it without major problems.

Ubuntu still ships PulseAudio for its long term version which is what I use
but I've
not heard of any problems with the leading edge version.
Re: pulseaudio - pipewire [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 3 August 2022 17:22:13 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 9:15 AM hitachi303 <gentoo-user@konstantinhansen.de>
>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > so there is a eselect news "2022-07-29-pipewire-sound-server" telling
> > that changes have been made.
> >
> > I care about having sound but don't care to much about how it is
> > working. Any suggestions which path will lead me to the goal of having
> > the least trouble in future?
> > Like is pulseaudio going to disappear so I will have do switch anyway?
> > Is pipewire that new that it'll be buggy for the years to come?
> >
> > Regards
>
> Many other distros are using it without major problems.
>
> Ubuntu still ships PulseAudio for its long term version which is what I use
> but I've
> not heard of any problems with the leading edge version.

I've been using pipewire with default settings and USE="-pulseaudio" in
make.conf. It works fine for my basic needs.