working sound hardware, but even so, how did the news function know not to
fetch that item?

Peter.
Re: Selective news? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 10:27 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> Then I went to my ~amd64 machine and looked for the same news item - and
> there was no sign of anything about either pulse or pipe. This machine has no
> working sound hardware, but even so, how did the news function know not to
> fetch that item?

From:
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/data/gentoo-news.git/tree/2022-07-29-pipewire-sound-server/2022-07-29-pipewire-sound-server.en.txt

Display-If-Installed: media-video/pipewire
Display-If-Installed: media-sound/pulseaudio
Display-If-Installed: media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon
Display-If-Installed: media-libs/libpulse

If you have any of those packages installed, the news will display.

We try to filter news so that users aren't bombarded by things that
aren't relevant to them. For example, a few weeks ago there was
apparently a corruption in the mu MUA (which I'd never heard of),
which would be really important to know about if you were one of the
0.001% of Gentoo users who rely on it.

--
Rich
Re: Selective news? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, 30 July 2022 15:36:35 BST Rich Freeman wrote:

> From:
> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/data/gentoo-news.git/tree/2022-07-29-pipewire-soun
> d-server/2022-07-29-pipewire-sound-server.en.txt
>
> Display-If-Installed: media-video/pipewire
> Display-If-Installed: media-sound/pulseaudio
> Display-If-Installed: media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon
> Display-If-Installed: media-libs/libpulse
>
> If you have any of those packages installed, the news will display.

But pulseaudio is installed, having been pulled in by plasma-meta; that's why
I was puzzled.

$ eix -Ic pulse
[I] media-libs/libpulse (16.1{xpak:2}@30/06/22): Libraries for PulseAudio
clients
[I] media-sound/pulseaudio (16.1{xpak}@10/07/22): A meta package for
PulseAudio (networked sound server)
[I] media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon (16.1{xpak:2}@30/06/22): Daemon component of
PulseAudio (networked sound server)
Found 3 matches

The only pertinent difference between the machines is that one is amd64, the
other ~amd64. Well, the ~amd64 box has no sound hardware, but apart from
that...

> We try to filter news so that users aren't bombarded by things that
> aren't relevant to them.

And it has worked well for me too until now.

> For example, a few weeks ago there was apparently a corruption in the mu MUA
> (which I'd never heard of), which would be really important to know about if
> you were one of the 0.001% of Gentoo users who rely on it.

Yes, I saw that, and no, I hadn't heard of it either.

Peter.
Re: Selective news? [ In reply to ]
Same here, pulseaudio daemon is no longer started automatically. Starting it
from a shell (simply call pulseaudio ) and audio works fine again.

Not sure which start script to add it to; .login or .profile are unsuitable
because it would then start it at every login even with ssh).

Alex

Re: Selective news? [ In reply to ]
Take a look in "/etc/pulse/client.conf".

You can either set "autospawn = yes" or comment it.

"pulseaudio" is automatically started via
"/etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop"; at least in my case.

-Ramon

On 31/07/2022 14:33, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> Not sure which start script to add it to; .login or .profile are unsuitable
> because it would then start it at every login even with ssh).

--
GPG public key: 5983 98DA 5F4D A464 38FD CF87 155B E264 13E6 99BF
Re: Selective news? [ In reply to ]
Am Dienstag, 2. August 2022, 01:04:56 CEST schrieb Ramon Fischer:
> Take a look in "/etc/pulse/client.conf".
>
> You can either set "autospawn = yes" or comment it.

That did it. For some reason, after the update it was set to no.

Thanks
Alex