has the default been changed from BIOS to EFI?

Do I have to, e.g. set the platform USE flag and reinstall the humongous
grub package or is there an option I can pass to grub-install?
Re: grub-install: error: cannot find EFI directory [ In reply to ]
On 7/27/22 14:33, n952162 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> has the default been changed from BIOS to EFI?
>
> Do I have to, e.g. set the platform USE flag and reinstall the humongous
> grub package or is there an option I can pass to grub-install?

I see I have this:

CONFIG_EFI=y

CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y

CONFIG_EFI_MIXED=y

... or will I have to rebuild my kernel?

Surely genkernel would have determined that I have a BIOS system....
wouldn't it have?
Re: grub-install: error: cannot find EFI directory [RESOLVED] [ In reply to ]
On 7/27/22 14:33, n952162 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> has the default been changed from BIOS to EFI?
>
> Do I have to, e.g. set the platform USE flag and reinstall the humongous
> grub package or is there an option I can pass to grub-install?

Well, I discovered that this works:

*grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda*

Although that is an UNDOCUMENTED option!  It's dropped from the --help menu.

I found it in the --help on an old system.

Amazing how these things just disappear.
Re: grub-install: error: cannot find EFI directory [RESOLVED] [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 at 15:24, n952162 <n952162@web.de> wrote:
> Well, I discovered that this works:
>
> grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda
>
> Although that is an UNDOCUMENTED option! It's dropped from the --help menu.
>
> I found it in the --help on an old system.
>
> Amazing how these things just disappear.

It shows both in --help and in the man page for my up-to-date grub.

Regards,
Arve