Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 19 ???. 2020 ?. ? 00:15, gevisz <gevisz@gmail.com>:

> ??, 18 ???. 2020 ?. ? 21:15, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>:
> >
> > gevisz wrote:

> > > Thank you for your input. Yes, it seems that something is muted but what?
> > > I have no KDE and no kmix installed. No pulseaudio.
> >
> > Type in alsamixer in a console or whatever you use and hit tab twice. I
> > suspect you have that installed. You should have a text version, like a
> > console uses, and a gui version, that should work in any DM. Pick your
> > poison and see if anything there is muted or the volume is set really
> > low, like 1 out of 100 or something. I think hitting the "m" key
> > toggles the mute.
>
> I am sorry to confess that I forgot that I should use M to unmute
> a channel in alsamixer (as I did about 14 years ago) and thought
> that arrows up and down do all the work. :(
>
> So, now the problem has been solved.

Last time I have ended the discussion on my
"no sound" problem acknowledging that I was
so stupid that "forgot that I should use M to
unmute a channel in alsamixer."

However, it turned out that it was not the case:
currently I have all channels in alsamixer unmuted
and have sound only in about 1 from 10 bootings of
my Gentoo system, while I do always have sound
on the same computer while I boot it with Ubuntu 20.04.

I have also compared the output of lsmod command
on both systems and found out that my Gentoo system
had all sound kernel modules that my Ubuntu system has
and even more. (In Gentoo, I still have quite an old 5.4.97
kernel, but I do not think that it is the cause of my
"no sound" problem.)

Of course, it is completely my responsibility that
I have built my Gentoo system in such a way that
I never know if I will have sound after its next boot.
However I am lost guessing what I did wrong.
(Comparing with Ubuntu 20.04, my Gentoo system
has no systemd and no pulseaudio, no consolekit,
and no policykit.)

I leave this just for history, as I am currently
in a war zone and so investigating this problem
further is not in my priority list. :(
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 11 ???. 2022 ?. ? 20:15, gevisz <gevisz@gmail.com>:

> ??, 19 ???. 2020 ?. ? 00:15, gevisz <gevisz@gmail.com>:
> >
> > ??, 18 ???. 2020 ?. ? 21:15, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>:

> > > Type in alsamixer in a console or whatever you use and hit tab twice. I
> > > suspect you have that installed. You should have a text version, like a
> > > console uses, and a gui version, that should work in any DM. Pick your
> > > poison and see if anything there is muted or the volume is set really
> > > low, like 1 out of 100 or something. I think hitting the "m" key
> > > toggles the mute.
> >
> > I am sorry to confess that I forgot that I should use M to unmute
> > a channel in alsamixer (as I did about 14 years ago) and thought
> > that arrows up and down do all the work. :(
> >
> > So, now the problem has been solved.
>
> Last time I have ended the discussion on my
> "no sound" problem acknowledging that I was
> so stupid that "forgot that I should use M to
> unmute a channel in alsamixer."
>
> However, it turned out that it was not the case:
> currently I have all channels in alsamixer unmuted
> and have sound only in about 1 from 10 bootings of
> my Gentoo system, while I do always have sound
> on the same computer while I boot it with Ubuntu 20.04.
>
> I have also compared the output of lsmod command
> on both systems and found out that my Gentoo system
> had all sound kernel modules that my Ubuntu system has
> and even more. (In Gentoo, I still have quite an old 5.4.97
> kernel, but I do not think that it is the cause of my
> "no sound" problem.)
>
> Of course, it is completely my responsibility that
> I have built my Gentoo system in such a way that
> I never know if I will have sound after its next boot.
> However I am lost guessing what I did wrong.
> (Comparing with Ubuntu 20.04, my Gentoo system
> has no systemd and no pulseaudio, no consolekit,
> and no policykit.)
>
> I leave this just for history, as I am currently
> in a war zone and so investigating this problem
> further is not in my priority list. :(

I have accidentally found that the problem with
absence of sound on my Gentoo box appears
only when my USB Logitech webcam is connected
to the computer during the boot time.

Moreover, if it happens and the sound is absent,
the alsamixer shows that my USB Logitech webcam
is considered by the system as a default sound device.

So, it tries to send sound there even though it does
not have any speaker.
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 14 July 2022 07:19:14 BST gevisz wrote:
> ??, 11 ???. 2022 ?. ? 20:15, gevisz <gevisz@gmail.com>:
> > ??, 19 ???. 2020 ?. ? 00:15, gevisz <gevisz@gmail.com>:

> > > I am sorry to confess that I forgot that I should use M to unmute
> > > a channel in alsamixer (as I did about 14 years ago) and thought
> > > that arrows up and down do all the work. :(
> > >
> > > So, now the problem has been solved.
> >
> > Last time I have ended the discussion on my
> > "no sound" problem acknowledging that I was
> > so stupid that "forgot that I should use M to
> > unmute a channel in alsamixer."
> >
> > However, it turned out that it was not the case:
> > currently I have all channels in alsamixer unmuted
> > and have sound only in about 1 from 10 bootings of
> > my Gentoo system, while I do always have sound
> > on the same computer while I boot it with Ubuntu 20.04.
> >
> > I have also compared the output of lsmod command
> > on both systems and found out that my Gentoo system
> > had all sound kernel modules that my Ubuntu system has
> > and even more. (In Gentoo, I still have quite an old 5.4.97
> > kernel, but I do not think that it is the cause of my
> > "no sound" problem.)
> >
> > Of course, it is completely my responsibility that
> > I have built my Gentoo system in such a way that
> > I never know if I will have sound after its next boot.
> > However I am lost guessing what I did wrong.
> > (Comparing with Ubuntu 20.04, my Gentoo system
> > has no systemd and no pulseaudio, no consolekit,
> > and no policykit.)
> >
> > I leave this just for history, as I am currently
> > in a war zone and so investigating this problem
> > further is not in my priority list. :(
>
> I have accidentally found that the problem with
> absence of sound on my Gentoo box appears
> only when my USB Logitech webcam is connected
> to the computer during the boot time.
>
> Moreover, if it happens and the sound is absent,
> the alsamixer shows that my USB Logitech webcam
> is considered by the system as a default sound device.
>
> So, it tries to send sound there even though it does
> not have any speaker.

I'll blame some relatively recent change in the kernel or some interaction
with udev. I have previously posted a problem regarding a USB NIC, rather
than a USB sound card as in your case. Now I also noticed a problem with the
initialisation of an onboard WiFi card on another laptop, which is driven by
the internal MoBo USB controller along with bluetooth.

I don't know what causes the problem but I wager the order in which a device
is plugged in/switched on by the user affects whether the kernel will detect it
and initialise it, or not.

On this laptop the onboard WiFi has to be switched on already at boot time, or
I need to reboot after switching it on. Restarting the wlan0 service without
a reboot fails to connect to the AP.

On the previous post of mine about another laptop with an external USB NIC
adaptor (wired), the ethernet cable has to remain disconnected until SDDM
starts, or SDDM will not launch. Restarting the wired interface service
allows SDDM to start.

My superficial conclusion is ... something changed and the result is a
regressive behavior. I don't know if this is related to kernel code or udev,
or some interaction between the two, but I suggest this is where the cause of
this problem lies rather than USB sound or NIC devices.
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
I'll go on a guess alsa got installed on the system. If that is correct,
please try a command as root in terminal if necessary or on console:

amixer set Master 100% unmute && alsactl store && aplay
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
It's possible that doesn't work because /var/lib/alsa/asound.state exists
or /var/lock/alsa.lock exists.
If those two files do not exist and pulseaudio and/or pipewire hasn't
gummed up the works that should work.
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Jul 2022 08:53:11 +0100, Michael wrote:

> On this laptop the onboard WiFi has to be switched on already at boot
> time, or I need to reboot after switching it on. Restarting the wlan0
> service without a reboot fails to connect to the AP.

I have a similar issue with a USB WiFi adaptor, particularly after a
suspend. I found that I can wake it u without rebooting with

rfkill block wlan; rfkill unblock wlan

--
Neil Bothwick

and there was light.
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 14 July 2022 14:36:42 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:

> God said, "div D = rho, div B = 0, curl E = - @B/@t, curl H = J + @D/@t,"
> and there was light.

Nice one!

Peter.
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 14 ???. 2022 ?. ? 14:57, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com>:

> I'll go on a guess alsa got installed on the system. If that is correct,
> please try a command as root in terminal if necessary or on console:
>

> amixer set Master 100% unmute && alsactl store && aplay
> /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
> It's possible that doesn't work because /var/lib/alsa/asound.state exists
> or /var/lock/alsa.lock exists.
> If those two files do not exist and pulseaudio and/or pipewire hasn't
> gummed up the works that should work.

I was sure that it wouldn't work but tried:
# amixer set Master 100% unmute && alsactl store && aplay
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Master',0
Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 17 ???. 2022 ?. ? 19:18, gevisz <gevisz@gmail.com>:

> ??, 14 ???. 2022 ?. ? 14:57, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com>:
> >
> > I'll go on a guess alsa got installed on the system.

Yes, it is.

> > If that is correct, please try a command as root in terminal
> > if necessary or on console:
> >
> > amixer set Master 100% unmute && alsactl store && aplay
> > /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

I was sure that it wouldn't work but tried:
# amixer set Master 100% unmute && alsactl store && aplay
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Master',0

> > It's possible that doesn't work because /var/lib/alsa/asound.state exists
> > or /var/lock/alsa.lock exists.

The first file exists and the second one is not.

Re: No sound. Please, help! [ In reply to ]
??, 14 ???. 2022 ?. ? 10:53, Michael <confabulate@kintzios.com>:

> On Thursday, 14 July 2022 07:19:14 BST gevisz wrote:
> > ??, 11 ???. 2022 ?. ? 20:15, gevisz <gevisz@gmail.com>:

> > > Last time I have ended the discussion on my
> > > "no sound" problem acknowledging that I was
> > > so stupid that "forgot that I should use M to
> > > unmute a channel in alsamixer."
> > >
> > > However, it turned out that it was not the case:
> > > currently I have all channels in alsamixer unmuted
> > > and have sound only in about 1 from 10 bootings of
> > > my Gentoo system, while I do always have sound
> > > on the same computer while I boot it with Ubuntu 20.04.
> > >
> > > I have also compared the output of lsmod command
> > > on both systems and found out that my Gentoo system
> > > had all sound kernel modules that my Ubuntu system has
> > > and even more. (In Gentoo, I still have quite an old 5.4.97
> > > kernel, but I do not think that it is the cause of my
> > > "no sound" problem.)
> > >
> > > Of course, it is completely my responsibility that
> > > I have built my Gentoo system in such a way that
> > > I never know if I will have sound after its next boot.
> > > However I am lost guessing what I did wrong.
> > > (Comparing with Ubuntu 20.04, my Gentoo system
> > > has no systemd and no pulseaudio, no consolekit,
> > > and no policykit.)
> > >
> > > I leave this just for history, as I am currently
> > > in a war zone and so investigating this problem
> > > further is not in my priority list. :(
> >
> > I have accidentally found that the problem with
> > absence of sound on my Gentoo box appears
> > only when my USB Logitech webcam is connected
> > to the computer during the boot time.
> >
> > Moreover, if it happens and the sound is absent,
> > the alsamixer shows that my USB Logitech webcam
> > is considered by the system as a default sound device.
> >
> > So, it tries to send sound there even though it does
> > not have any speaker.
>
> I'll blame some relatively recent change in the kernel
> or some interaction with udev.

Yes, it is quite probable that udev, evdev or the like
is responsible for the problem.

1 2  View All