Is this new requirement for CONFIG_EPOLL legit?

--
Grant
Re: dbus now requires CONFIG_EPOLL in kernel? [ In reply to ]
On 2022-06-20, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> At the end of an update today, I got an error message from
>
> sys-apps/dbus-1.12.22-r2:
>
> * CONFIG_EPOLL: is not set when it should be.
> Please check to make sure these options are set correctly. Failure
> to do so may cause unexpected problems.

Opps. Apparently at some point I somehow overwrote the file at
/usr/src/linux/.config with something completely unrelated (looks like
the contents of /proc/cpuinfo).

The EPOLL option is set in the actual kernel:

$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep EPOLL
CONFIG_EPOLL=y

and in all my prevous version .config files.

--
Grant
Re: dbus now requires CONFIG_EPOLL in kernel? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 03:46:46PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> At the end of an update today, I got an error message from
>
> sys-apps/dbus-1.12.22-r2:
>
> * CONFIG_EPOLL: is not set when it should be.
> Please check to make sure these options are set correctly. Failure
> to do so may cause unexpected problems.
>
> In the kernel config menu, that option is under an "experts only"
> parent menu that warns

It's normally enabled by default, and disabling it is what is the
"experts only" bit, which leads to question why it's disabled for you.

> This is for specialized environments which can tolerate a
> "non-standard" kernel. Only use this if you really know what you
> are doing.
>
> Is this new requirement for CONFIG_EPOLL legit?

It's not new, this check been in dbus ebuilds since 2012(?) or so,
I assume your configs is what has changed.

--
ionen