Mailing List Archive

I have no sound in my gentoo install.
Hello all,

Basically i have installed gentoo, but i don't have any type of sound, i
installed pulseaudio and alsa but no one worked fine since i have no sound.

Thanks for your help.
Re: I have no sound in my gentoo install. [ In reply to ]
Hello, thanks for the help, i didn't know i was replying to you directly.

I just emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin, rebooted the computer, but
it didn't worked.

I remember that i got sound working once in a while, however after a
system update, it didn't work it anymore.

Re: I have no sound in my gentoo install. [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 8:07 AM Guillermo <guillermo18barresiones@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Basically i have installed gentoo, but i don't have any type of sound, i
> installed pulseaudio and alsa but no one worked fine since i have no
sound.

> Thanks for your help.

If you're going to run pulseaudio then consider starting with pavucontrol
to see what PA thinks is going on.

Consider running also-info which should save a file to /tmp with info.

Consider running alsmixer to see what sound device, if any, is selected.

Consider searching for wave files (locate *.wav) and playing one using
aplay:

aplay /usr/local/MATLAB/R2018b/toolbox/signal/sigdemos/guitartune.wav

Consider posting back more info when you've got some to share.

Mark
Re: I have no sound in my gentoo install. [ In reply to ]
Hello Guillermo,

Re: I have no sound in my gentoo install. [ In reply to ]
Guillermo wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Basically i have installed gentoo, but i don't have any type of sound,
> i installed pulseaudio and alsa but no one worked fine since i have no
> sound.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> .

In addition to what others mentioned, make sure you unmute ALL audio
devices in ALL software.  I use ALSA here but if I recall correctly, I
had to unmute three separate pieces of software to get sound working.
Also, adjust volume levels as well.  I think setting a value of half, 50
in most controls, will get you some sound.  Later you can come back and
adjust if needed.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: I have no sound in my gentoo install. [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Re: I have no sound in my gentoo install. [ In reply to ]
Hello,

You replied again to me directly. Reply to the list, so other people
will see your response, and can help.

If Pavucontrol doesn't show any device, then most likely you are missing
drivers for your sound devices, or perhaps your kernel doesn't support
sound at all.

A quick way to (try to) fix the problem would be to use a dist-kernel,
such as sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel (or sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin) to
see whether your issue is in your .config.
If using those kernels fixes the problem, you can use the `lsmod`
command, combined with `lpsci -nnk` to see what drivers are being used
for your devices.

From there, you can fix your .config file and revert back to a custom

Re: I have no sound in my gentoo install. [ In reply to ]
You have still not provided anywhere near enough information for us to
help you.

What sound device are you trying to use?  Built into the motherboard?
Plug in USB?  Bluetooth?  Is there any chance that sound is turned off
in your BIOS settings?  Are you sure the kernel module to drive your
device is either built in to the kernel or as a module and loaded?

Just saying "I tried and it didn't work" is not enough information.  Is
there anything about sound in dmesg or /var/log/messages?  What init
system are you using?  systemd, openrc, or something else?  Does that
need any service started for sound?

All the previous replies gave you more questions, which you have not yet
answered.

In terms of replying to the list or the person who sent the message to
which you are replying, look at the "To:" field in your email software
before you hit "Send."  You need to see the list address there.  Your
email software probably has a  "Reply Group" or "Reply List" button.  If
not, you may need to use "Reply All" and not just "Reply."

Jack

Re: I have no sound in my gentoo install. [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, 18 June 2022 19:35:54 BST Jack wrote:

> In terms of replying to the list or the person who sent the message to
> which you are replying, look at the "To:" field in your email software
> before you hit "Send." You need to see the list address there. Your
> email software probably has a "Reply Group" or "Reply List" button. If
> not, you may need to use "Reply All" and not just "Reply."

He's using Thunderbird, according to the User Agent header, in case that
helps.

As to the problem, far be it from me to suggest sound fixes!

Peter.