Mailing List Archive

mailing list problem: changing subscription type
I had subscribed to gentoo-user on 2022-05-25, and posted a message on
that date.

I then wished to change my subscription to no-mail delivery. The
instructions I received after sending a message to
gentoo-user+help@lists.gentoo.org indicated I could do this by sending
a message to gentoo-user+subscribe-nomail@lists.gentoo.org, which I
did. and I got a response saying

"Thank you for confirming your subscription. You have now been added to the
no-mail version of the list."

However the email address is still receiving messages from the
list. Apparently my email is subscribed on two lists - the mail
version and the non-mail version, and there doesn't seem to be any way
to unsubscribe only from the mail-version while remaining on the
latter.

I wanted to mention this as a possible problem with the mailing list
software.

Could I request the list owner to make sure I remain subscribed to the
the list while not receiving copies in the mail?

Thanks
---Madhu
Re: mailing list problem: changing subscription type [ In reply to ]
(Replying as listowner, but I'm also on the nomail version of
gentoo-user, please CC to gentoo-user+owner@lists.gentoo.org or to me
directly for most mail)

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 07:35:20AM +0530, Madhu wrote:
> I had subscribed to gentoo-user on 2022-05-25, and posted a message on
> that date.
>
> I then wished to change my subscription to no-mail delivery. The
> instructions I received after sending a message to
> gentoo-user+help@lists.gentoo.org indicated I could do this by sending
> a message to gentoo-user+subscribe-nomail@lists.gentoo.org, which I
> did. and I got a response saying
>
> "Thank you for confirming your subscription. You have now been added to the
> no-mail version of the list."
>
> However the email address is still receiving messages from the
> list. Apparently my email is subscribed on two lists - the mail
> version and the non-mail version, and there doesn't seem to be any way
> to unsubscribe only from the mail-version while remaining on the
> latter.
> Could I request the list owner to make sure I remain subscribed to the
> the list while not receiving copies in the mail?
I don't see any requests to unsubscribe from the regular version of the
list.

The regular/digest/nomail subscriptions are entirely independent.

Just subscribing to the nomail version of the list does not impact your
other subscriptions at all.

Did some part of the documentation make you think it would impact the
subscription?

Regardless, how do you feel the documentation could improve to make it
clear that they are separate.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
Re: mailing list problem: changing subscription type [ In reply to ]
* "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2-20220530T050223-944166244Z @orbis-terrarum.net> :
Wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 05:08:48 +0000:
>> Could I request the list owner to make sure I remain subscribed to the
>> the list while not receiving copies in the mail?
> I don't see any requests to unsubscribe from the regular version of the
> list.
>
> The regular/digest/nomail subscriptions are entirely independent.

Thanks. I was missing this piece of information. The confirmation
message I received after subscribing to gentoo-user+subscribe-nomail
had the following text:

#+begin_quote
If you ever wish to unsubscribe, send a message to
<gentoo-user+unsubscribe@lists.gentoo.org> using this email address. The
subject and the body of the message can be anything. You will then receive
confirmation or further instructions.
#+end_quote

Since only one unsubscribe address - presumably for the regular
subscription - was indicated, I assumed there was only one account per
email (ala mailman) with options set on the account. So I assumed if I
unsubscribed at this address I would remove myself from the list and
the ability to post to it.

> Just subscribing to the nomail version of the list does not impact your
> other subscriptions at all.
>
> Did some part of the documentation make you think it would impact the
> subscription?
>
> Regardless, how do you feel the documentation could improve to make it
> clear that they are separate.

Perhaps the unsubscribe instructions on joining the digest and nomail
lists should indicate addresses like
<gentoo-user+unsubscribe-nomail@lists.gentoo.org>

If that is how it is to be done. (I haven't tried sending mail to
gentoo-user+help-nomail@. I believe I'm off the regular list now,
Thanks!) ---Madhu