this an unwinnable fight? (And is the dichotomy chromium-chrome
relevant at all?)

Jorge Almeida
Re: chromium shortcuts? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 9:56 PM wkuz@op.pl <wkuz@op.pl> wrote:

> Dnia 2022-05-29, o godz. 21:49:21
> Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@gmail.com> napisa?(a):
>
> > So, is there a way to get rid of this, ahem, stuff? Ideally, I would
> > remove/edit some shortcuts, but I would settle for trashing it all. Is
> > this an unwinnable fight? (And is the dichotomy chromium-chrome
> > relevant at all?)
> >
> > Jorge Almeida
> >

> I'm not sure, but as far as I know the differences between
> google-chrome and chromium are more about "the amount of Google" in the
> browser not the overall idea behind it (so probably shortcuts will be
> the same).

I suppose... I just hoped that the refuse to allow users any freedom
would be part of that "amount of Google"...
Re: chromium shortcuts? [ In reply to ]
If non-free software is not of any concern for you, then maybe try
Vivaldi browser? It is based on the same engine and feels quite like
chromium but with many many more options (USE=widevine for netflix ;) )

--
xWK
Re: chromium shortcuts? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 10:16 PM wkuz@op.pl <wkuz@op.pl> wrote:

> If non-free software is not of any concern for you, then maybe try
> Vivaldi browser? It is based on the same engine and feels quite like
> chromium but with many many more options (USE=widevine for netflix ;) )

I have no concerns regarding licensing et al., but I once tried
Vivaldi and was not impressed (I don't remember why). I'm into chrom*
only because it provides a smooth experience re youtube & gmail. I
don't think other browsers can do it, but I wouldn't mind being wrong.

BTW: chromium also has a "widevine" flag. I don't know how much time
does it take to compile chromium nowadays, but I don't have netflix
anyway :(
Re: chromium shortcuts? [ In reply to ]
Re: chromium shortcuts? [ In reply to ]

Re: chromium shortcuts? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 29 May 2022 21:49:21 +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:

> I've been using google-chrome, mainly because I assume, maybe wrongly,
> that it means less hassle regarding codecs and such. But I'm out of
> patience regarding the undocumented, uncustomizable, obnoxious,
> invasive keyboard shortcuts/mouse gestures. So, I decided to try
> chromium (-bin, for now), in the hope that it would be more
> user-respectful.
> Until now, no improvement. (Note that I symlinked
> ~/.config/chromium-bin to ~/.config/google-chrome, otherwise I would
> lose all bookmarks. Maybe it was a bad idea?)

Why not export the bookmarks then re-import them? That way you can start
with a clean config.

--
Neil Bothwick

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle: The location of all objects cannot be
known simultaneously. Corollary: If a lost thing is found, something else
will disappear.
Re: chromium shortcuts? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 10:47 PM wkuz@op.pl <wkuz@op.pl> wrote:

> New Hope! I've found this:
> https://btechgeeks.com/change-chrome-keyboard-shortcuts/

It seems that the "Shortcut manager" extension doesn't exist any more.
It was supposed to allow editing the "default" shortcuts, something
most pages say it's not possible.
Re: chromium shortcuts? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 10:48 PM Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 May 2022 21:49:21 +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:
>

> > Until now, no improvement. (Note that I symlinked
> > ~/.config/chromium-bin to ~/.config/google-chrome, otherwise I would
> > lose all bookmarks. Maybe it was a bad idea?)
>
> Why not export the bookmarks then re-import them? That way you can start
> with a clean config.

I don't know how to do that (I'm talking about several itens in the
bookmarks bar, not a single menu with several links). But I'll try a
clean config anyway, the bookmark issue can be dealt with later.
Re: chromium shortcuts? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 29 May 2022 23:10:16 +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:

> > Why not export the bookmarks then re-import them? That way you can
> > start with a clean config.
> >
> I don't know how to do that (I'm talking about several itens in the
> bookmarks bar, not a single menu with several links). But I'll try a
> clean config anyway, the bookmark issue can be dealt with later.

There are import and export options in the Bookmarks Manager menu.

--
Neil Bothwick

Experience is directly proportional to the value of equipment destroyed.
Re: chromium shortcuts? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 8:19 AM Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> > I don't know how to do that (I'm talking about several itens in the
> > bookmarks bar, not a single menu with several links). But I'll try a
> > clean config anyway, the bookmark issue can be dealt with later.
>
> There are import and export options in the Bookmarks Manager menu.

Got it. But I already tried a clean start and still no way to edit shortcuts...

RE: chromium shortcuts? [ In reply to ]
Compile time for Chromium currently seems to run about four hours on an i7-9700.

Re: chromium shortcuts? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 11:06 PM Laurence Perkins <lperkins@openeye.net> wrote:

> Compile time for Chromium currently seems to run about four hours on an i7-9700.

Well, that does it, then. chromium-bin is good enough, I think. But of
course, the problem of obnoxious shortcuts remains...