So, I wonder if this is all related to the failing service, or are
they separate problems that I can fix? And can you suggest how to fix
the two service which seem to start too soon?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: A couple of problems with systemd [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 27 May 2022 17:03:29 -0400, John Covici wrote:

> I have one service which always times out, but slows down the boot
> process. It is
> /lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd-wait-online.service. Because
> many jobs wait in queue for a while, till this fails.

Are you using systemd-networkd or something else to manage your network?

> Also, I have a couple of services, ntpdate and proftpd which always
> fail because when they try to execute named has not started yet. I
> can restart them once the system is fully booted and I can login.

You can create a drop-in to require the service to start after named, run
"systemctl edit ntpdate.service" and add

[Unit]
Requires=named.service
After=named.service

That will create a drop-in file in /etc/systemd/system/ntpdate.service.d
containing your additions - you can also create these files manually.

--
Neil Bothwick

Copy from another: plagiarism. Copy from many: research.
Re: A couple of problems with systemd [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 27 May 2022 17:49:24 -0400,
Neil Bothwick wrote:

> [1 <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
> On Fri, 27 May 2022 17:03:29 -0400, John Covici wrote:
>
> > I have one service which always times out, but slows down the boot
> > process. It is
> > /lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd-wait-online.service. Because
> > many jobs wait in queue for a while, till this fails.
>
> Are you using systemd-networkd or something else to manage your network?
>
> > Also, I have a couple of services, ntpdate and proftpd which always
> > fail because when they try to execute named has not started yet. I
> > can restart them once the system is fully booted and I can login.
>
> You can create a drop-in to require the service to start after named, run
> "systemctl edit ntpdate.service" and add
>
> [Unit]
> Requires=named.service
> After=named.service
>
> That will create a drop-in file in /etc/systemd/system/ntpdate.service.d
> containing your additions - you can also create these files manually.
Thanks. I am not using systemd-network or anything like that. I
created a service called network and use the %i and links in
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user-target.wants to start my two cards.
Maybe this is not the normal way, but when I first started using
systemd, this is the best I could come up with at the time.

I will try the drop-in, I had kind of forgot about them.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: A couple of problems with systemd [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 27 May 2022 19:51:06 -0400, John Covici wrote:

> On Fri, 27 May 2022 17:49:24 -0400,
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> >
> > [1 <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
> > On Fri, 27 May 2022 17:03:29 -0400, John Covici wrote:
> >
> > > I have one service which always times out, but slows down the boot
> > > process. It is
> > > /lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd-wait-online.service. Because
> > > many jobs wait in queue for a while, till this fails.
> >
> > Are you using systemd-networkd or something else to manage your
> > network?
> > > Also, I have a couple of services, ntpdate and proftpd which always
> > > fail because when they try to execute named has not started yet. I
> > > can restart them once the system is fully booted and I can login.
> >
> > You can create a drop-in to require the service to start after named,
> > run "systemctl edit ntpdate.service" and add
> >
> > [Unit]
> > Requires=named.service
> > After=named.service
> >
> > That will create a drop-in file in
> > /etc/systemd/system/ntpdate.service.d containing your additions - you
> > can also create these files manually.
> Thanks. I am not using systemd-network or anything like that. I
> created a service called network and use the %i and links in
> /etc/systemd/system/multi-user-target.wants to start my two cards.
> Maybe this is not the normal way, but when I first started using
> systemd, this is the best I could come up with at the time.

If you are not starting systemd-networkd, network-online will fail. You
only need to create a file in /etc/systemd/network to configure your
card, something like

[Match]
Name=eth0

[Network]
Description=Wired network
DHCP=yes

Then start systemd-networkd.service.

> I will try the drop-in, I had kind of forgot about them.

--
Neil Bothwick

The cow is nothing but a machine that makes grass fit for us people to
eat.
Re: A couple of problems with systemd [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 6:51 PM John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Thanks. I am not using systemd-network or anything like that. I
> created a service called network and use the %i and links in
> /etc/systemd/system/multi-user-target.wants to start my two cards.
> Maybe this is not the normal way, but when I first started using
> systemd, this is the best I could come up with at the time.

Have you tried using .network files? You can setup it static:

$ cat /etc/systemd/network/enp2s0.network
# Ethernet

[Match]
Name=enp2s0

[Network]