second to register.

The plasmashell process is hogging one core of the CPU to almost 100%.
It only happens on login. Logging out and back in again usually fixes it.
Re: plasmashell becomes sluggish with 100% CPU usage [ In reply to ]
On 2022-05-24 13:20, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Anyone noticed anything lately with plasmashell? I think it started
> happening after Qt was upgraded from 5.15.3 to 5.15.4. At login, the
> desktop is very unresponsive and sluggish. Mouse clicks take over a
> second to register.
>
> The plasmashell process is hogging one core of the CPU to almost 100%.
> It only happens on login. Logging out and back in again usually fixes it.

I've had this problem for at least 2 years, can't find the cause. I
sleep/resume a lot and figured it was some race condition.

I have a Konsole shell auto-open one resume or logon so I can drop to
the shell and issue `killall plasmashell && plasmashell &`.

I've even tried starting with a fresh home directory and have not seen a
difference. I don't use any plugins either.

Do you have an nvidia card? This machine that constantly has this issue
does, but my laptop (intel graphics) does not.

Dan
Re: plasmashell becomes sluggish with 100% CPU usage [ In reply to ]
On 25/05/2022 00:53, Daniel Frey wrote:
> Do you have an nvidia card? This machine that constantly has this issue
> does, but my laptop (intel graphics) does not.

Yeah, it's nvidia using the binary driver. But I've never had this issue
before. It only started happening today when I booted up the machine.
Re: plasmashell becomes sluggish with 100% CPU usage [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 1:20 PM Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone noticed anything lately with plasmashell? I think it started
> happening after Qt was upgraded from 5.15.3 to 5.15.4. At login, the
> desktop is very unresponsive and sluggish. Mouse clicks take over a
> second to register.
>
> The plasmashell process is hogging one core of the CPU to almost 100%.
> It only happens on login. Logging out and back in again usually fixes it.

There a very old Kubuntu report about this sort of thing happening for
years now.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/846781/why-is-plasmashell-using-100-cpu

Maybe there's a clue there?

I've seen something similar maybe twice over the years but nothing recent.

All my machines use NVidia with their driver.

Good luck,
Mark
Re: plasmashell becomes sluggish with 100% CPU usage [ In reply to ]
On 24/05/2022 23:20, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Anyone noticed anything lately with plasmashell? I think it started
> happening after Qt was upgraded from 5.15.3 to 5.15.4. At login, the
> desktop is very unresponsive and sluggish. Mouse clicks take over a
> second to register.
>
> The plasmashell process is hogging one core of the CPU to almost 100%.
> It only happens on login. Logging out and back in again usually fixes it.

So I decided to just let it do that and see what happens. After about 90
seconds or so, it calms down and things become normal...
Re: plasmashell becomes sluggish with 100% CPU usage [ In reply to ]
Hello Nikos,

a malfunctioning widget could cause this issue.

A few years ago, I experienced this with
"plasmoid-gentoo-sync-reminder"[1]. If it does not find the file
"/usr/portage/metada/timestamp.chk", the CPU usage went up to 200%.

Maybe it could be related with your issue?

-Ramon

[1] https://github.com/burlog/plasmoid-gentoo-sync-reminder/issues/1

--
GPG public key: 5983 98DA 5F4D A464 38FD CF87 155B E264 13E6 99BF