PATH is used ?

Regards,
/Karl Hammar
Re: emerge with another PATH [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 20 May 2022 15:55:22 +0200 (CEST), karl@aspodata.se wrote:

> How do I run emerge so that when buildin/emerging the package another
> PATH is used ?

PATH is just an environment variable, so

PATH="/path1:/path2" emerge blah

should do that.

Unless what you are really asking is how do you get emerge to install
files to a different location. In that case look at the --root option in
man emerge.

--
Neil Bothwick

Is there another word for synonym?
Re: emerge with another PATH [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick:
> On Fri, 20 May 2022 15:55:22 +0200 (CEST), karl@aspodata.se wrote:
> > How do I run emerge so that when buildin/emerging the package another
> > PATH is used ?
>
> PATH is just an environment variable, so
>
> PATH="/path1:/path2" emerge blah
>
> should do that.

Doesn't seems to work...

# echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/texlive/2022/bin/x86_64-linux
# emerge -aqvu app-text/dblatex
# grep ^Err /Net/gentoo/tmpdir/portage/app-text/dblatex-0.3.11-r1/temp/build.log
Error: not found: latex, makeindex, pdflatex, kpsewhich
# which latex
/usr/local/texlive/2022/bin/x86_64-linux/latex
#

Something seems to set its own PATH.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar
Re: emerge with another PATH [ In reply to ]
On 2022-05-20 17:22+0200 karl@aspodata.se wrote:

> Neil Bothwick:
> > On Fri, 20 May 2022 15:55:22 +0200 (CEST), karl@aspodata.se wrote:
> > > How do I run emerge so that when buildin/emerging the package
> > > another PATH is used ?
> >
> > PATH is just an environment variable, so
> >
> > PATH="/path1:/path2" emerge blah
> >
> > should do that.
>
> Doesn't seems to work...
>
> # echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/texlive/2022/bin/x86_64-linux
> # emerge -aqvu app-text/dblatex
> # grep ^Err
> /Net/gentoo/tmpdir/portage/app-text/dblatex-0.3.11-r1/temp/build.log
> Error: not found: latex, makeindex, pdflatex, kpsewhich # which latex
> /usr/local/texlive/2022/bin/x86_64-linux/latex
> #
>
> Something seems to set its own PATH.
>
> Regards,
> /Karl Hammar

It probably reinitialises PATH when dropping to the portage user? Try
modifying PATH in /etc/portage/bashrc — note that this file is sourced
multiple times during the build, see
<https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/bashrc>.

Kind regards, tastytea
Re: emerge with another PATH [ In reply to ]
karl@aspodata.se wrote:
> Neil Bothwick:
>> On Fri, 20 May 2022 15:55:22 +0200 (CEST), karl@aspodata.se wrote:
>>> How do I run emerge so that when buildin/emerging the package another
>>> PATH is used ?
>> PATH is just an environment variable, so
>>
>> PATH="/path1:/path2" emerge blah
>>
>> should do that.
> Doesn't seems to work...
>
> # echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/texlive/2022/bin/x86_64-linux
> # emerge -aqvu app-text/dblatex
> # grep ^Err /Net/gentoo/tmpdir/portage/app-text/dblatex-0.3.11-r1/temp/build.log
> Error: not found: latex, makeindex, pdflatex, kpsewhich
> # which latex
> /usr/local/texlive/2022/bin/x86_64-linux/latex
> #
>
> Something seems to set its own PATH.
>
> Regards,
> /Karl Hammar

From man emerge:

ENVIRONMENT OPTIONS

ROOT = [path]
Use ROOT to specify the target root filesystem to be used for merging
the requested packages or ebuilds and their runtime dependencies. This
variable can be set via the --root option or in make.conf(5) (the
command line overrides other settings).
Defaults to /.

--root=DIR
Set the ROOT environment variable.

That variable is either set in make.conf or on the emerge command line
as a option.  Of course, this depends on what it is you are trying to
accomplish.  More info on that may help others to know what settings
need to be adjusted.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: emerge with another PATH [ In reply to ]
tastytea:
> On 2022-05-20 17:22+0200 karl@aspodata.se wrote:
>
> > Neil Bothwick:
> > >
> > > PATH is just an environment variable, so
> > >
> > > PATH="/path1:/path2" emerge blah
> > >
> > > should do that.
> >
> > Doesn't seems to work...
> It probably reinitialises PATH when dropping to the portage user? Try
> modifying PATH in /etc/portage/bashrc — note that this file is sourced
> multiple times during the build, see
> <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/bashrc>.

Thanks, that solved it.

Regards,