Mailing List Archive

[SOLVED]Re: Bluetooth speakers
On Thursday, 5 May 2022 16:22:56 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:

> Is there a knack to getting my plasma desktop to operate happily with my new
> Bluetooth speakers? I can get a connection using the Bluetooth control
> panel, and the sound device appears in the Audio control panel, but testing
> either speaker produces no sound.

I think I've solved the problem. No, not BT but with a wired connection I do
now have sound. BT can wait until I need it.

The fix was to build a new system without any extra USE flags, i.e. non other
than what's in the plasma profile. Now it Just Works.

For completeness, these are the flags I removed from make.conf:

gpg gpm gstreamer handbook icu postscript pulseaudio qml

I can only suppose that some of those were fighting others. I still have quite
a few package-specific USE flags; I'll review all those as well.

Thanks to all who helped.

Peter.
Re: [SOLVED]Re: Bluetooth speakers [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, 14 May 2022 17:34:58 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 May 2022 16:22:56 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Is there a knack to getting my plasma desktop to operate happily with my
> > new Bluetooth speakers? I can get a connection using the Bluetooth
> > control panel, and the sound device appears in the Audio control panel,
> > but testing either speaker produces no sound.
>
> I think I've solved the problem. No, not BT but with a wired connection I do
> now have sound. BT can wait until I need it.

Wrong again. In fact, the problem was that pulseaudio was not running. A
simple 'pulseaudio start' - et voila! Sound.

I found this along the way:

# pulseaudio --dump-conf
### Read from configuration file: /etc/pulse/daemon.conf ###
daemonize = no
[...]

Why is it set to No by default? Isn't PA deaf without the daemon running?

Peter.
Re: [SOLVED]Re: Bluetooth speakers [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 09:51:57 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Saturday, 14 May 2022 17:34:58 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Thursday, 5 May 2022 16:22:56 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > > Is there a knack to getting my plasma desktop to operate happily with my
> > > new Bluetooth speakers? I can get a connection using the Bluetooth
> > > control panel, and the sound device appears in the Audio control panel,
> > > but testing either speaker produces no sound.
> >
> > I think I've solved the problem. No, not BT but with a wired connection I
> > do now have sound. BT can wait until I need it.
>
> Wrong again. In fact, the problem was that pulseaudio was not running. A
> simple 'pulseaudio start' - et voila! Sound.
>
> I found this along the way:
>
> # pulseaudio --dump-conf
> ### Read from configuration file: /etc/pulse/daemon.conf ###
> daemonize = no
> [...]
>
> Why is it set to No by default? Isn't PA deaf without the daemon running?

Pulseaudio is currently set to "daemonize = no" by default and it should also
be set "autospawn = no", in order for Plasma to use pipewire instead of
pulseaudio. Pipewire is the new audio solution, which is meant to satisfy
use cases previously addressed with pulseaudio and/or jack, although it should
co-exist and work with both regardless.

As I understand it originally udev would probe, auto-detect and hotplug
devices, calling pulseaudio to process audio. I am not up to speed how
pipewire now interacts with pulseaudio in depth, but I can see on a Plasma
system which has pulseaudio installed, pipewire is launched and uses pipewire-
pulse.conf:

\_ /usr/bin/wireplumber
\_ /usr/bin/pipewire
\_ /usr/bin/pipewire -c pipewire-pulse.conf

I have audio working, but no pulseaudio process shows up.
Re: [SOLVED]Re: Bluetooth speakers [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 11:02:21 BST Michael wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 09:51:57 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > >
> > > I think I've solved the problem. No, not BT but with a wired connection
> > > do now have sound. BT can wait until I need it.
> >
> > Wrong again. In fact, the problem was that pulseaudio was not running. A
> > simple 'pulseaudio start' - et voila! Sound.
> >
> > I found this along the way:
> >
> > # pulseaudio --dump-conf
> > ### Read from configuration file: /etc/pulse/daemon.conf ###
> > daemonize = no
> > [...]
> >
> > Why is it set to No by default? Isn't PA deaf without the daemon running?
>
> Pulseaudio is currently set to "daemonize = no" by default and it should
> also be set "autospawn = no", in order for Plasma to use pipewire instead
> of pulseaudio. Pipewire is the new audio solution, which is meant to
> satisfy use cases previously addressed with pulseaudio and/or jack,
> although it should co-exist and work with both regardless.
>
> As I understand it originally udev would probe, auto-detect and hotplug
> devices, calling pulseaudio to process audio. I am not up to speed how
> pipewire now interacts with pulseaudio in depth, but I can see on a Plasma
> system which has pulseaudio installed, pipewire is launched and uses
> pipewire- pulse.conf:
>
> \_ /usr/bin/wireplumber
> \_ /usr/bin/pipewire
> \_ /usr/bin/pipewire -c pipewire-pulse.conf
>
> I have audio working, but no pulseaudio process shows up.

Somewhere around here I said I had too many USE flag staatements under /etc/
portage, so I removed package.use and just set whatever flags were needed to
install all my packages. That was fine, but it meant that USE=pulseaudio was
only set on alsa-plugins, which was fine as far as it went, but nothing else
could use PA. Now that I've put pulseaudio back into make.conf and recompiled,
I hope for a quieter life, if you see what I mean...

Thanks again for everyone's patience.

Peter.
Re: [SOLVED]Re: Bluetooth speakers [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 15:22:07 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:

> Somewhere around here I said I had too many USE flag staatements under /etc/
> portage, so I removed package.use and just set whatever flags were needed
> to install all my packages. That was fine, but it meant that USE=pulseaudio
> was only set on alsa-plugins, which was fine as far as it went, but nothing
> else could use PA. Now that I've put pulseaudio back into make.conf and
> recompiled, I hope for a quieter life, if you see what I mean...
>
> Thanks again for everyone's patience.

Glad you got it working. There's a global 'pulseaudio' USE flag, as well as
some local 'pulseaudio' USE flags. If you run 'euse -i pulseaudio' you'll see
from the output a global flag is needed. I'm not on a pulseaudio enabled
system at the moment to check what I have set up here.
Re: [SOLVED]Re: Bluetooth speakers [ In reply to ]
On 18/05/2022 15:22, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Somewhere around here I said I had too many USE flag staatements under/etc/
> portage, so I removed package.use and just set whatever flags were needed to
> install all my packages.

If you make package.use a directory, you can do what I do, and try to
have one file in package.use for each package I actually want installed.
And if you qualify the packages with "current version" however you do
that, then they'll expire regularly so you're forced to keep it
up-to-date :-)

Cheers,
Wol
Re: [SOLVED]Re: Bluetooth speakers [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 22:26:44 BST Wol wrote:
> On 18/05/2022 15:22, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Somewhere around here I said I had too many USE flag staatements
> > under/etc/
> > portage, so I removed package.use and just set whatever flags were needed
> > to install all my packages.
>
> If you make package.use a directory, you can do what I do, and try to
> have one file in package.use for each package I actually want installed.
> And if you qualify the packages with "current version" however you do
> that, then they'll expire regularly so you're forced to keep it
> up-to-date :-)

Yes, I do the same. I did wonder at the large number of files under
package.use, though, which is why I thought it a good idea to prune them a
bit. The consequences just spread further than I expected. :(

Peter.