Mailing List Archive

why do I need cargo to make an initramfs?
I never needed to use cargo before, to update my kernel.  In what way is
cargo better than earlier mechanisms to build initramfs?
Re: why do I need cargo to make an initramfs? [ In reply to ]
Samstag, 14. Mai 2022 10:00:

> I never needed to use cargo before, to update my kernel.  In what way is
> cargo better than earlier mechanisms to build initramfs?

With cargo being rust's package manager, I'd hazard the guess that
you got yourself a shiny new rust component in either your kernel
or your initramfs content.

s.
Re: why do I need cargo to make an initramfs? [ In reply to ]
On 5/14/22 10:44, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
> Samstag, 14. Mai 2022 10:00:
>
>> I never needed to use cargo before, to update my kernel.  In what way is
>> cargo better than earlier mechanisms to build initramfs?
>
> With cargo being rust's package manager, I'd hazard the guess that
> you got yourself a shiny new rust component in either your kernel
> or your initramfs content.
>
> s.

I don't get it.  Why should something built with rust require a boot
packaging tool that also requires rust?  That's like saying, if a
facility has a python component, the whole facility needs to be
distributed with pip.

Can anyone tell me where the initramfs staging area or configuration
file is?
Re: why do I need cargo to make an initramfs? [ In reply to ]
n952162 wrote:
> On 5/14/22 10:44, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
>> Samstag, 14. Mai 2022 10:00:
>>
>>> I never needed to use cargo before, to update my kernel.  In what
>>> way is
>>> cargo better than earlier mechanisms to build initramfs?
>>
>> With cargo being rust's package manager, I'd hazard the guess that
>> you got yourself a shiny new rust component in either your kernel
>> or your initramfs content.
>>
>> s.
>>

> I don't get it.  Why should something built with rust require a boot
> packaging tool that also requires rust?  That's like saying, if a
> facility has a python component, the whole facility needs to be
> distributed with pip.
>
> Can anyone tell me where the initramfs staging area or configuration
> file is?

The file(s) are in /etc/dracut.conf.d/.  I only have one file but
depending on setup, you could have more than one.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re[2]: why do I need cargo to make an initramfs? [ In reply to ]
Samstag, 14. Mai 2022 11:37:

> I don't get it. Why should something built with rust require a boot
> packaging tool that also requires rust? That's like saying, if a
> facility has a python component, the whole facility needs to be
> distributed with pip.

> Can anyone tell me where the initramfs staging area or configuration
> file is?

How are you building your initramfs? dracut, genkernel, other?

Are you sure that cargo is going to be included in the initramfs
and not just required to build it?

s.
Re: why do I need cargo to make an initramfs? [ In reply to ]
Thank you.

Re: why do I need cargo to make an initramfs? [ In reply to ]
On 5/14/22 12:36, Dale wrote:
> n952162 wrote:
>> On 5/14/22 10:44, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
>>> Samstag, 14. Mai 2022 10:00:

>>> With cargo being rust's package manager, I'd hazard the guess that
>>> you got yourself a shiny new rust component in either your kernel
>>> or your initramfs content.
>>>
>>> s.
>>>

>> I don't get it.  Why should something built with rust require a boot
>> packaging tool that also requires rust?  That's like saying, if a
>> facility has a python component, the whole facility needs to be
>> distributed with pip.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me where the initramfs staging area or configuration
>> file is?
>>

> The file(s) are in /etc/dracut.conf.d/.  I only have one file but
> depending on setup, you could have more than one.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Unfortunately, I don't have that directory.  I'm at 4.14.97.

Upgrading to 5.15.32.  But I get a kernel panic and have no initramfs
for 5.15.32...

I suppose I could unpack the one I have for 4.14.97 and create a new one
based on that ...
Re: why do I need cargo to make an initramfs? [ In reply to ]
On 5/14/22 12:52, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> Samstag, 14. Mai 2022 11:37:
>
>> I don't get it. Why should something built with rust require a boot
>> packaging tool that also requires rust? That's like saying, if a
>> facility has a python component, the whole facility needs to be
>> distributed with pip.
>> Can anyone tell me where the initramfs staging area or configuration
>> file is?
> How are you building your initramfs? dracut, genkernel, other?
>
> Are you sure that cargo is going to be included in the initramfs
> and not just required to build it?
>
> s.

Well, I'm not, that's what I'm trying to do.  But I'd like to do it the
way I've done it for years rather using some new facility.

Can genkernel do it?  I built my kernel just now according to
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade, as I always have.

Maybe I should start over and use genkernel?

Okay, I see genkernel has a initramfs action.  I'll try that.  It
probably uses cargo under the hood.  SMH.  Building an initramfs isn't
all that difficult once you know what's got to go into it. Are we
gratuitously adding dependencies?  We should strive to keep things simple.
Re: why do I need cargo to make an initramfs? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 14 May 2022 14:51:52 +0200, n952162 wrote:

> Well, I'm not, that's what I'm trying to do.  But I'd like to do it the
> way I've done it for years rather using some new facility.
>
> Can genkernel do it?  I built my kernel just now according to
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade, as I always have.
>
> Maybe I should start over and use genkernel?

I'd use Dracut, it's simpler and more transparent in its operation.

--
Neil Bothwick

I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last week.
Time to die.
Re: why do I need cargo to make an initramfs? [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2022 14:51:52 +0200, n952162 wrote:
>
>> Well, I'm not, that's what I'm trying to do.  But I'd like to do it the
>> way I've done it for years rather using some new facility.
>>
>> Can genkernel do it?  I built my kernel just now according to
>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade, as I always have.
>>
>> Maybe I should start over and use genkernel?
> I'd use Dracut, it's simpler and more transparent in its operation.

And dracut works for me and that says something.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: why do I need cargo to make an initramfs? [ In reply to ]
Am 14.05.22 um 15:28 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
> Neil Bothwick
>
> I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
> I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
> I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
> All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last week.
> Time to die.

So great. Time to watch Blade Runner again!