happening on one single machine out of the half dozen Gentoo systems I
have running. I've never had issues building perl itself either.
Modules sure, but never the main perl package.

My search-fu is failing me as well, apparently, so I turn to y'all.

Attached are the output of:

- emerge -pqv '=dev-lang/perl-5.34.0-r9::gentoo' as emerge-pretend.txt
- emerge --info '=dev-lang/perl-5.34.0-r9::gentoo' as emerge-info.txt

And the build log as build.log
Re: dev-lang/perl upgrade failure [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Tue, May 10 at 09:11, Matt Connell wrote:
> I can't figure out why a perl update isn't building. This is only
> happening on one single machine out of the half dozen Gentoo systems I
> have running. I've never had issues building perl itself either.
> Modules sure, but never the main perl package.
>
> My search-fu is failing me as well, apparently, so I turn to y'all.

You might want to check out
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8680082.html

The solution suggested is to clear out obsolete and unmaintained
packages which may be causing your build to hit the error check
with.

emerge -av --depclean
perl-cleaner --all

Always a good idea to do a regular cleanup with depclean and I
suggest running perl-cleaner with the -p "pretend" option first.

HTH
--
Bob Dunlop
Re: dev-lang/perl upgrade failure [ In reply to ]
> emerge -av --depclean
> perl-cleaner --all

Nothing to depclean and perl-cleaner reports nothing to rebuild

> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8680082.html

None of the ideas here helped me either.

Neither did changing the LANG nor MAKEOPTS.

... however, I was able to figure out what was causing the failures, if
not why.

I had "icecream" in my FEATURES, even though I never bothered setting
up the service or anything to use it. I removed this from FEATURES and
the build completed successfully.

Lesson learned.