official site does not start any more. :(
However, it started just a few weeks ago, before a few previous updates.
Downloading its latest version has not changed anything in this respect.
Re: tor-browser does not start any more [ In reply to ]
On 28.11.21 12:09, gevisz wrote:
> I have just noticed that the tor-browser I downloaded from its
> official site does not start any more. :(
> However, it started just a few weeks ago, before a few previous updates.
> Downloading its latest version has not changed anything in this respect.

do you get any error message if you launch torbrowser from your terminal?

just a guess... but you probably need to enable wayland for x11-libs/gtk+:3

see
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40693
Re: tor-browser does not start any more [ In reply to ]
On 2021-11-28 05:09, gevisz wrote:
> I have just noticed that the tor-browser I downloaded from its
> official site does not start any more. :(
> However, it started just a few weeks ago, before a few previous
> updates.
> Downloading its latest version has not changed anything in this
> respect.

I has something to do with Wayland dependencies in the latest Firefox.
Seems to affect Gentoo and Slackware the most. I cannot run the latest
11.0.1. I am not using Wayland. I've rolled back to version 10.5.6 in
the meantime.

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40693
Re: tor-browser does not start any more [ In reply to ]
On 2021-11-28 05:20, Poncho wrote:
> On 28.11.21 12:09, gevisz wrote:
>> I have just noticed that the tor-browser I downloaded from its
>> official site does not start any more. :(
>> However, it started just a few weeks ago, before a few previous
>> updates.
>> Downloading its latest version has not changed anything in this
>> respect.
>>

> do you get any error message if you launch torbrowser from your
> terminal?
>
> just a guess... but you probably need to enable wayland for
> x11-libs/gtk+:3
>
> see
> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40693

Sorry, Poncho. I didn't see your message when I replied.

However your solution works for me. I figured that getting wayland
support would have required a lot more rebuilding, or I would have tried
it days ago. I switched on the wayland flag for gtk+ (portage required
it for mesa as well) and I was good to go.

Thanks much.

-Steve Freeman
Re: tor-browser does not start any more [ In reply to ]
??, 28 ????. 2021 ?. ? 13:20, Poncho <poncho@spahan.ch>:

> On 28.11.21 12:09, gevisz wrote:
> > I have just noticed that the tor-browser I downloaded from its
> > official site does not start any more. :(
> > However, it started just a few weeks ago, before a few previous updates.
> > Downloading its latest version has not changed anything in this respect.
> >

> do you get any error message if you launch torbrowser from your terminal?

After "launching" the tor-browser in the terminal, I get only the
return value 255 instead of 0.

> just a guess... but you probably need to enable wayland for x11-libs/gtk+:3

Yes, Wayland is completely disabled in my system as I use Awesome.

> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40693

Thank you.