Mailing List Archive

Trying to fix stuttering emulators (melonDS and PCSX2)
Hello Gentoo users. I've recently been encountering some issues running
games on my PC. Here's video evidence of the issues I've seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hNwwOOikGQ

I am using a GTX970 with the latest proprietary nvidia drivers (495.44-r2)
on the normal amd64 profile (default/linux/amd64/17.1). It's not the
version that's causing the problem, because I recorded the linked video
*before* I updated the drivers. The update changed nothing.

Oh, also, in the past, I followed this
<https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Sound/How_to_Enable_Realtime_for_Multimedia_Applications>
article, so my user *jamie* is part of the *realtime* group, and my
/etc/security/limits.conf file looks like this. I thought it might be
relevant since I set it up back when I used Desmume instead of melonDS:

> * hard rtprio 0
> * soft rtprio 0
> @realtime hard rtprio 20
> @realtime soft rtprio 10

All of this has been frustrating me for nearly two weeks, so any help or
tips are much appreciated.
--
Sincerely,
Jamie
Re: Trying to fix stuttering emulators (melonDS and PCSX2) [ In reply to ]
On 27/11/2021 09:52, Jamie Getty wrote:
> Hello Gentoo users. I've recently been encountering some issues running
> games on my PC. Here's video evidence of the issues I've seen:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hNwwOOikGQ
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hNwwOOikGQ>

That video shows your PC is not fast enough to run the emulator. It only
runs at about half speed.

What is your CPU? You can also use sys-process/htop to see how
overloaded the primary CPU core gets. If it's at 100%, then that means
you just need a CPU with faster single-core performance.