Mailing List Archive

dev-util/android-sdk-update-manager requires multilib?
I live in Canada, and want to get rid of alerts on a smartphone. Our
CRTC (analog to US FCC) has decreed that *ALL* alerts are sent out at the
highest level. That includes everything from incoming-nuclear-missiles
to missing-kid-500-km-away-at-2:00-AM-in-the-morning. Americans roaming
on a Canadian network would see every alert as a "Presidential Alert".
Because Canada was late to the alert game (April 2018), 3G was exempted
from the alerts because it's considered "legacy". I've forced my phone
to 3G. But 3G will eventually shut down, so I need to find some way to
get rid of the alerts altogether.

I got to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Android/adb and the instructions
are relatively simple. Install adb and then...

pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver

But I ran into a problem...

[x8940][root][~] emerge --ask dev-util/android-sdk-update-manager

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "dev-util/android-sdk-update-manager" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-util/android-sdk-update-manager-24.4.1-r1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, ~amd64 keyword)
/var/db/repos/gentoo/profiles/arch/amd64/no-multilib/package.mask:
# AMD64 Team <amd64@gentoo.org>
# Mask packages that rely on amd64 multilib

The part "Mask packages that rely on amd64 multilib" implies that
something in the package relies on multilib. This is the first time
I've run into something requiring multilib since trying to build WINE,
ages ago. And my system is no-multilib. Is there a way around this?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
Re: dev-util/android-sdk-update-manager requires multilib? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 4:39 PM Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> The part "Mask packages that rely on amd64 multilib" implies that
> something in the package relies on multilib. This is the first time
> I've run into something requiring multilib since trying to build WINE,
> ages ago. And my system is no-multilib. Is there a way around this?

I haven't used it in a while, but the SDK installer largely installs
prebuilt binaries and other files from upstream, and I'm guessing that
some of those are 32-bit.

If all you need is adb then there is dev-util/android-tools, which I'm
guessing is fine with multilib (it looks like a regular source-based
package at a glance). If you need the SDK you could force it to be
unmasked and maybe the parts that you need might happen to work, but I
wouldn't count on it. I don't think it would break anything on your
system - it would just fail to work correctly and you could unmerge
it. If it wants to pull in a bunch of other masked stuff I'd hesitate
to unmask anything else without a good understanding of what you're
doing.

--
Rich