Mailing List Archive

Wayland assorted problems
I'm still trying to get Wayland to work reliably. At the moment I log in
at a TTY, then fire it up with "startplasma-wayland" ... except it
doesn't start properly!

I'm GUESSING part of the problem is my video card isn't set up properly.
But I thought I'd followed the gentoo guide, and compiled the Radeon and
R600 drivers into my kernel. I prefer to compile stuff in the kernel and
not as modules, and I told it to load the drivers into the kernel, but
am worried I might have missed something. I've changed it for the next
kernel so it'll be a module loading what it wants from the firmware
directory, so hopefully that'll be better but I'm not sure.

I did an lspci -k and got this for the video card ...

09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeon

I notice it says "VGA compatible", and not what the wiki page leads me
to expect - something like "Video driver" - which makes me think the
card isn't set up properly.

The symptoms basically are that wayland always hangs the first attempt
to start it. Once killed from another tty it MAY (or may not) start
successfully.

I mentioned Thunderbird - that keeps on losing contact with the
compositor or something which is why it keeps crashing ...

And I run a multi-user system. I tried to fire up wayland as a second
user, and got the error

kwin_xwl: /tmp/.X11-unix is not owned by root or us

Of course it isn't - it's not a user specific link so of course it's
going to clash with another user!

I attach the wayland log I got in case it gives anybody any other clues
as to what's going on.

Cheers,
Wol
Re: Wayland assorted problems [ In reply to ]
On 2021.11.14 17:51, Wol wrote:
> I'm still trying to get Wayland to work reliably. At the moment I log
> in at a TTY, then fire it up with "startplasma-wayland" ... except it
> doesn't start properly!
>
> I'm GUESSING part of the problem is my video card isn't set up
> properly. But I thought I'd followed the gentoo guide, and compiled
> the Radeon and R600 drivers into my kernel. I prefer to compile stuff
> in the kernel and not as modules, and I told it to load the drivers
> into the kernel, but am worried I might have missed something. I've
> changed it for the next kernel so it'll be a module loading what it
> wants from the firmware directory, so hopefully that'll be better but
> I'm not sure.
>
> I did an lspci -k and got this for the video card ...
>
> 09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
> [AMD/ATI] RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
> Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
> Kernel driver in use: radeon
> Kernel modules: radeon
>
> I notice it says "VGA compatible", and not what the wiki page leads
> me to expect - something like "Video driver" - which makes me think
> the card isn't set up properly.
I haven't tried Wayland in quite a while, but this motivates me to try
again soon. However, my equivalent line is:

1c:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD 7770/8760 / R7 250X]

and Wayland did run for me when I last tried it. What wiki page are
you looking at, since I don't see any reference to "video driver."

Re: Wayland assorted problems [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 14 November 2021 23:51:37 CET Wol wrote:
> I'm still trying to get Wayland to work reliably. At the moment I log
> in at a TTY, then fire it up with "startplasma-wayland" ... except it
> doesn't start properly!

Have you tried starting it with "dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland"?
IIRC that's needed and it won't start correctly without, at least I
start it that way on my system.

-Marco
Re: Wayland assorted problems [ In reply to ]
On 17/11/2021 19:13, Marco Rebhan wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 November 2021 23:51:37 CET Wol wrote:
>> I'm still trying to get Wayland to work reliably. At the moment I log
>> in at a TTY, then fire it up with "startplasma-wayland" ... except it
>> doesn't start properly!
>
> Have you tried starting it with "dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland"?
> IIRC that's needed and it won't start correctly without, at least I
> start it that way on my system.

I'll try that (again) but I know first time round I was trying all sorts
of ways, and it probably included that, and didn't seem to have any effect.

Cheers,
Wol
Re: Wayland assorted problems [ In reply to ]
On 17/11/2021 20:59, Wol wrote:
> On 17/11/2021 19:13, Marco Rebhan wrote:
>> On Sunday, 14 November 2021 23:51:37 CET Wol wrote:
>>> I'm still trying to get Wayland to work reliably. At the moment I log
>>> in at a TTY, then fire it up with "startplasma-wayland" ... except it
>>> doesn't start properly!
>>
>> Have you tried starting it with "dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland"?
>> IIRC that's needed and it won't start correctly without, at least I
>> start it that way on my system.
>>
> I'll try that (again) but I know first time round I was trying all sorts
> of ways, and it probably included that, and didn't seem to have any effect.

Well, just tried starting wayland again (my system locked up so I had to
reboot), and wayland won't start. With or without dbus-run-session.

Weirdly, I've noticed it seems to start working after a kernel upgrade,
and then won't start again after a reboot or two ... WHY!?!?

Cheers,
Wol
Re: Wayland assorted problems [ In reply to ]
On 2021.11.14 17:51, Wol wrote:
> I'm still trying to get Wayland to work reliably. At the moment I log
> in at a TTY, then fire it up with "startplasma-wayland" ... except it
> doesn't start properly!
Seems to work fine for me (with minimal testing.)

> I'm GUESSING part of the problem is my video card isn't set up
> properly. But I thought I'd followed the gentoo guide, and compiled
> the Radeon and R600 drivers into my kernel. I prefer to compile stuff
> in the kernel and not as modules, and I told it to load the drivers
> into the kernel, but am worried I might have missed something. I've
> changed it for the next kernel so it'll be a module loading what it
> wants from the firmware directory, so hopefully that'll be better but
> I'm not sure.
>
> I did an lspci -k and got this for the video card ...
>
> 09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
> [AMD/ATI] RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
> Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
> Kernel driver in use: radeon
> Kernel modules: radeon
1c:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD 7770/8760 / R7 250X]
Subsystem: XFX Pine Group Inc. Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD
7770/8760 / R7 250X]
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

> I notice it says "VGA compatible", and not what the wiki page leads
> me to expect - something like "Video driver" - which makes me think
> the card isn't set up properly.
>
> The symptoms basically are that wayland always hangs the first
> attempt to start it. Once killed from another tty it MAY (or may not)
> start successfully.
>

> I mentioned Thunderbird - that keeps on losing contact with the
> compositor or something which is why it keeps crashing ...
No crash, although I didn't run it very long.

> And I run a multi-user system. I tried to fire up wayland as a second
> user, and got the error
>
> kwin_xwl: /tmp/.X11-unix is not owned by root or us
>
> Of course it isn't - it's not a user specific link so of course it's
> going to clash with another user!
When you run multiple copies of xorg, each one runs in a different
console. I wouldn't be surprised if wayland simply isn't set up to do
that.

> I attach the wayland log I got in case it gives anybody any other
> clues as to what's going on.
The attached log includes the above kwin error. Can you post one where
there isn't another wayland session running? I'd also confirm that
directory does go away when no X or wayland is running. You might need
to manually delete it.

Jack
Re: Wayland assorted problems [ In reply to ]
On 17/11/2021 23:54, Jack wrote:
> On 2021.11.14 17:51, Wol wrote:
>> I'm still trying to get Wayland to work reliably. At the moment I log
>> in at a TTY, then fire it up with "startplasma-wayland" ... except it
>> doesn't start properly!
> Seems to work fine for me (with minimal testing.)
>>
>> I'm GUESSING part of the problem is my video card isn't set up
>> properly. But I thought I'd followed the gentoo guide, and compiled
>> the Radeon and R600 drivers into my kernel. I prefer to compile stuff
>> in the kernel and not as modules, and I told it to load the drivers
>> into the kernel, but am worried I might have missed something. I've
>> changed it for the next kernel so it'll be a module loading what it
>> wants from the firmware directory, so hopefully that'll be better but
>> I'm not sure.
>>
>> I did an lspci -k and got this for the video card ...
>>
>> 09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
>> [AMD/ATI] RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
>>     Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
>>     Kernel driver in use: radeon
>>     Kernel modules: radeon
> 1c:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
> [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD 7770/8760 / R7 250X]
>         Subsystem: XFX Pine Group Inc. Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD
> 7770/8760 / R7 250X]
>         Kernel driver in use: radeon
>         Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu
>>
>> I notice it says "VGA compatible", and not what the wiki page leads me
>> to expect - something like "Video driver" - which makes me think the
>> card isn't set up properly.
>>
>> The symptoms basically are that wayland always hangs the first attempt
>> to start it. Once killed from another tty it MAY (or may not) start
>> successfully.
>>

>> I mentioned Thunderbird - that keeps on losing contact with the
>> compositor or something which is why it keeps crashing ...
> No crash, although I didn't run it very long.
>>

>> And I run a multi-user system. I tried to fire up wayland as a second
>> user, and got the error
>>
>> kwin_xwl: /tmp/.X11-unix is not owned by root or us
>>
>> Of course it isn't - it's not a user specific link so of course it's
>> going to clash with another user!
> When you run multiple copies of xorg, each one runs in a different
> console.  I wouldn't be surprised if wayland simply isn't set up to do
> that.
>>
>> I attach the wayland log I got in case it gives anybody any other
>> clues as to what's going on.
> The attached log includes the above kwin error.  Can you post one where
> there isn't another wayland session running?  I'd also confirm that
> directory does go away when no X or wayland is running.  You might need
> to manually delete it.

Okay, I rebooted the system, and tried to start Wayland. The first log
is the output of my first attempt. This hung and I had to kill it.
Actually, it was worse than that, <ctrl><alt><f2> caused the video
driver or somesuch to crash - I ended up with a scrambled display, and
had to ssh in and reboot ...

I then googled, and because it said DISPLAY is not set, I tried setting
it to both DISPLAY=localhost:0 and DISPLAY=0:0. This gave two identical
logs, the second one, which didn't hang - it just failed to start and
terminated.

I'm trying to install and run the latest kernel - the current kernel has
compiled the driver and firmware into the kernel, I've told the new
kernel to build it as a module and not load the firmware into the
kernel, but you've seen my post about genkernel ... where simply trying
to tell genkernel to put the final initramfs somewhere other than the
default causes fatal errors in the build ...

Cheers,
Wol