Thanks for the help!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
Re: pm-suspend replacement? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, 18 September 2021 20.39.45 CEST Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> I used to have a utility pm-suspend which would suspend the current
> state of the machine to RAM (or, maybe to the swap partition) and shut
> the machine down to a resting state. A keypress or mouse movement
> would restore full functionality in a few seconds.

> Is there anything to take its place?

I'm pretty sure pm-suspend is deprecated. loginctl suspend should do the
same thing.
Re: pm-suspend replacement? [ In reply to ]
On 2021-09-18 18:39+0000 Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> Hello, Gentoo.
>
> I used to have a utility pm-suspend which would suspend the current
> state of the machine to RAM (or, maybe to the swap partition) and shut
> the machine down to a resting state. A keypress or mouse movement
> would restore full functionality in a few seconds.
>
> I think I lost this program in the emerge --depclean I did a couple of
> months ago (the one that wanted to make my machine unbootable).
>
> Is there anything to take its place? In particular I want actively to
> put the machine into resting state (as opposed to it happening after a
> period of inactivity), and I would prefer to do this without having to
> start a GUI session.
>
> I feel there must be something like this in portage, I just don't know
> how to find it.
>
> Thanks for the help!

`loginctl suspend`[1] if you use sys-auth/elogind. `echo mem >
/sys/power/state`[2] if not.

[1] <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Elogind#loginctl>
[2] <https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.10/admin-guide/pm/sleep-states.html#basic-sysfs-interfaces-for-system-suspend-and-hibernation>
--
Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@tastytea.de` or at
<https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.
Re: pm-suspend replacement? [ In reply to ]
On 2021-09-18 18:39, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> I feel there must be something like this in portage, I just don't know
> how to find it.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Suspend_and_hibernate

sys-power/suspend
sys-power/hibernate-script
Re: pm-suspend replacement? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 20:49:45 +0200, tastytea wrote:
> On 2021-09-18 18:39+0000 Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> > Hello, Gentoo.

> > I used to have a utility pm-suspend which would suspend the current
> > state of the machine to RAM (or, maybe to the swap partition) and shut
> > the machine down to a resting state. A keypress or mouse movement
> > would restore full functionality in a few seconds.

> > I think I lost this program in the emerge --depclean I did a couple of
> > months ago (the one that wanted to make my machine unbootable).

> > Is there anything to take its place? In particular I want actively to
> > put the machine into resting state (as opposed to it happening after a
> > period of inactivity), and I would prefer to do this without having to
> > start a GUI session.

> > I feel there must be something like this in portage, I just don't know
> > how to find it.

> > Thanks for the help!

> `loginctl suspend`[1] if you use sys-auth/elogind. `echo mem >
> /sys/power/state`[2] if not.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, neither of them works. I tried s2ram too. It also
doesn't work.

What they all do is suspend the system, then immediately restore it,
without the keyboard or mouse being touched.

I'm sure the kernel isn't the problem: I tried it with three kernels
going back to 5.4.97 and it failed on them all. pm-suspend worked on
these. Similarly, I doubt my HW is the problem.

At this stage, I think it's time to give up. I don't want to spend hours
submitting bug reports and following up, or on endless web searches for
solutions. The feature just isn't that important, convenient though it
would be.

Or maybe I'll try and find pm-suspend again on the web. Maybe it had
some feature (or bug workaround) which the more modern packages are
lacking.

Re: pm-suspend replacement? [ In reply to ]
Hello again, Gentoo.

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 11:03:00 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 20:49:45 +0200, tastytea wrote:
> > On 2021-09-18 18:39+0000 Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> > > Hello, Gentoo.

> > > I used to have a utility pm-suspend which would suspend the current
> > > state of the machine to RAM (or, maybe to the swap partition) and shut
> > > the machine down to a resting state. A keypress or mouse movement
> > > would restore full functionality in a few seconds.

> > > I think I lost this program in the emerge --depclean I did a couple of
> > > months ago (the one that wanted to make my machine unbootable).

> > > Is there anything to take its place? In particular I want actively to
> > > put the machine into resting state (as opposed to it happening after a
> > > period of inactivity), and I would prefer to do this without having to
> > > start a GUI session.

> > > I feel there must be something like this in portage, I just don't know
> > > how to find it.

> > > Thanks for the help!

> > `loginctl suspend`[1] if you use sys-auth/elogind. `echo mem >
> > /sys/power/state`[2] if not.

> Thanks!

> Unfortunately, neither of them works. I tried s2ram too. It also
> doesn't work.

> What they all do is suspend the system, then immediately restore it,
> without the keyboard or mouse being touched.

> I'm sure the kernel isn't the problem: I tried it with three kernels
> going back to 5.4.97 and it failed on them all. pm-suspend worked on
> these. Similarly, I doubt my HW is the problem.

> At this stage, I think it's time to give up. I don't want to spend hours
> submitting bug reports and following up, or on endless web searches for
> solutions. The feature just isn't that important, convenient though it
> would be.

> Or maybe I'll try and find pm-suspend again on the web. Maybe it had
> some feature (or bug workaround) which the more modern packages are
> lacking.

That's just what I did. A web search for pm-utils found it easily
enough. pm-suspend works again, and I'm a happy chappy - almost. Why
was pm-utils taken off of portage in the first place? Was there some
sort of security problem, or was it just because it hadn't been updated
in a fair while (since 2013, I think)?

That's another feature missing from portage - a systematic way of
discovering why a package has been removed.

Re: pm-suspend replacement? [ In reply to ]
On 2021-09-19 20:24+0000 Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> […]
> > Or maybe I'll try and find pm-suspend again on the web. Maybe it
> > had some feature (or bug workaround) which the more modern packages
> > are lacking.
>
> That's just what I did. A web search for pm-utils found it easily
> enough. pm-suspend works again, and I'm a happy chappy - almost. Why
> was pm-utils taken off of portage in the first place? Was there some
> sort of security problem, or was it just because it hadn't been
> updated in a fair while (since 2013, I think)?

It was removed because upstream abandoned it. It was announced in
<https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2020-04-14-elogind-default.html>
which references <https://bugs.gentoo.org/659616>.

> That's another feature missing from portage - a systematic way of
> discovering why a package has been removed.

`eselect news read all | less` is sometimes helpful. ????

Re: pm-suspend replacement? [ In reply to ]
Hello, tastytea.

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 22:50:30 +0200, tastytea wrote:
> On 2021-09-19 20:24+0000 Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> > […]
> > > Or maybe I'll try and find pm-suspend again on the web. Maybe it
> > > had some feature (or bug workaround) which the more modern packages
> > > are lacking.

> > That's just what I did. A web search for pm-utils found it easily
> > enough. pm-suspend works again, and I'm a happy chappy - almost. Why
> > was pm-utils taken off of portage in the first place? Was there some
> > sort of security problem, or was it just because it hadn't been
> > updated in a fair while (since 2013, I think)?

> It was removed because upstream abandoned it. It was announced in
> <https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2020-04-14-elogind-default.html>
> which references <https://bugs.gentoo.org/659616>.

It was indeed. I think I missed it because "pm-utils" didn't ring any
alarm bells whereas "pm-suspend" would have done.