Any advice please ...

Cheers,
Wol
Re: The old wine/harfbuzz/freetype circle ... [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Sat, 18 Sep 2021, antlists wrote:
>I've got stuck on this merry-go-round ...
>
>I'm trying to emerge wine, and it's come up with this. It insisted on adding
>abi_x86_32 or whatever it is to loads of things, but it's now blowing up with
>this circular dependency. If I try and install one with "use = -theother" it
>won't go ...

This should work:

# USE="-harfbuzz" emerge media-libs/freetype
# emerge media-libs/harfbuzz
# emerge media-libs/freetype

HTH,
-dnh

--
Sheridan: "If you're gonna wait for the universe to start making
sense you'll have a *long* wait ahead of you."
Re: The old wine/harfbuzz/freetype circle ... [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 07:30:45PM +0100, antlists wrote:
> I'm trying to emerge wine, and it's come up with this. It insisted on adding
> abi_x86_32 or whatever it is to loads of things, but it's now blowing up
> with this circular dependency. If I try and install one with "use =
> -theother" it won't go ...

I recently discovered this wiki page, maybe the steps listed there will
help:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Sam/Portage_help/Circular_dependencies#harfbuzz_and_freetype

> Looking on the web, everybody seems to be recommending those approaches but
> they're not working. It does say circular dependencies are hard to fix. The
> only thing I haven't got at the moment is ~amd. Is that likely to help?

Accepting the ~amd64 keyword would require extra steps due to another
circular dependency (also on the linked page but farther down). Not that
it would help in this case because freetype and harfbuzz do depend on
each other currently
Re: The old wine/harfbuzz/freetype circle ... [ In reply to ]
On 19/09/2021 09:58, Charlotte Delenk wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 07:30:45PM +0100, antlists wrote:
>> I'm trying to emerge wine, and it's come up with this. It insisted on adding
>> abi_x86_32 or whatever it is to loads of things, but it's now blowing up
>> with this circular dependency. If I try and install one with "use =
>> -theother" it won't go ...
> I recently discovered this wiki page, maybe the steps listed there will
> help:
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Sam/Portage_help/Circular_dependencies#harfbuzz_and_freetype

Thanks. While the site's solutions were pretty much what I'd already
tried and failed, it told me what I needed to do ...

It told me that x11/pango was what was forcing the freetype dependency,
and seeing as I'm running wayland I thought it wouldn't be a problem to
get rid of it temporarily. "emerge -C pango" ...

One quick "emerge --oneshot" (or rather, slow, because it triggered an
update of loads of other stuff) later, and then a global update, and
hopefully Robert is your mother's brother-in-law (he was mine :-)

Cheers,
Wol