and before that it says xf85OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/event23 Permission denied.
:((( my kernel has everything and i have the drivers all installed
im not sure what im missing
Re: mouse and keyboard don't respond [ In reply to ]
thelma@sys-concept.com:
> libinput: Logitech G703 (my mouse) Failed to create a device for /dev/input/event23
> and before that it says xf85OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/event23 Permission denied.

You can,
1. run X as root
2. either do
mknod -m 600 /dev/input/event23 c 13 87
chown $USER /dev/input/event23
or
mknod -m 666 /dev/input/event23 c 13 87
3. fiddle with udev so it does what it should, don't know how

Regards,
/Karl Hammar
Re: mouse and keyboard don't respond [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:29:51 -0600, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:

> libinput sees them both but it keeps saying
> libinput: Logitech G703 (my mouse) Failed to create a device for
> /dev/input/event23 and before that it says xf85OpenSerial: Cannot open
> device /dev/input/event23 Permission denied.

Devices are owned by root:input here, are you a member of the input group?

--
Neil Bothwick

Sometimes too much to drink is not enough.
Re: mouse and keyboard don't respond [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 10 September 2021 09:15:25 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:29:51 -0600, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> > libinput sees them both but it keeps saying
> > libinput: Logitech G703 (my mouse) Failed to create a device for
> > /dev/input/event23 and before that it says xf85OpenSerial: Cannot open
> > device /dev/input/event23 Permission denied.
>
> Devices are owned by root:input here, are you a member of the input group?

Wouldn't being a member of plugdev, rather than input group, deal with this?
Re: mouse and keyboard don't respond [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 09:43:26 +0100, Michael wrote:

> On Friday, 10 September 2021 09:15:25 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:29:51 -0600, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> > > libinput sees them both but it keeps saying
> > > libinput: Logitech G703 (my mouse) Failed to create a device for
> > > /dev/input/event23 and before that it says xf85OpenSerial: Cannot
> > > open device /dev/input/event23 Permission denied.
> >
> > Devices are owned by root:input here, are you a member of the input
> > group?
>
> Wouldn't being a member of plugdev, rather than input group, deal with
> this?

I wouldn't think so, but since I'm in both groups I can't test it. But
the permissions are 660 for root:input.

crw-rw---- 1 root input 13, 77 Sep 2 14:33 event13
etc.

--
Neil Bothwick

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?
Re: mouse and keyboard don't respond [ In reply to ]
On Friday, 10 September 2021 13:12:10 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 09:43:26 +0100, Michael wrote:
> > >
> > > Devices are owned by root:input here, are you a member of the input
> > > group?
> >
> > Wouldn't being a member of plugdev, rather than input group, deal with
> > this?
>
> I wouldn't think so, but since I'm in both groups I can't test it. But
> the permissions are 660 for root:input.
>
> crw-rw---- 1 root input 13, 77 Sep 2 14:33 event13
> etc.

In this seat I'm only in plugdev and wired USB mice/keyboards are detected and
work each time. They are listed as 660, root:input here too.

HOWEVER ... I don't possess Logitech G703 to test it. There is an additional
complexity since the OP's mouse is wireless @2.5GHz. I don't know if the
wireless dongle Logitech ships with this mouse requires any special firmware,
to allow it to function correctly as a USB device. :-/