Mailing List Archive

how to generate a kernel that is like -x86_64
how to generate a kernel that is like: vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo-x86_64
Re: how to generate a kernel that is like -x86_64 [ In reply to ]
On 9/9/21 1:18 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> how to generate a kernel that is like: vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo-x86_64

My kernel looks like vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo and it I think it should be: vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo-x86_64

im pretty sure this is the problem because after i select the option on grub im stuck on the next screen that says its loading the kernel commands
but im pretty sure ive run into this problem before and i need to generate the config so that it says x86_64 on the end i just dont remember how
Re: how to generate a kernel that is like -x86_64 [ In reply to ]
On 2021.09.09 15:23, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 9/9/21 1:18 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> > how to generate a kernel that is like: vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo-x86_64
> >
> My kernel looks like vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo and it I think it should
> be: vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo-x86_64
>
> im pretty sure this is the problem because after i select the option
> on grub im stuck on the next screen that says its loading the kernel
> commands
> but im pretty sure ive run into this problem before and i need to
> generate the config so that it says x86_64 on the end i just dont
> remember how
Does it say it's loading the kernel commands, or just that it's loading
the kernel?

The name of the kernel file is essentially arbitraty, although there
are certainly conventions. What is important is that grub knows the
correct name to use.

For starts, how are you generating the kernel, and did you run
grub-mkconfig after building the new kernel?
Re: how to generate a kernel that is like -x86_64 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 09 Sep 2021 15:31:12 -0400, Jack wrote:

> > On 9/9/21 1:18 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> > > how to generate a kernel that is like: vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo-x86_64
> > >
> > My kernel looks like vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo and it I think it should
> > be: vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo-x86_64

Have you tried renaming the file manually to see if it makes a difference?

> > im pretty sure this is the problem because after i select the option
> > on grub im stuck on the next screen that says its loading the kernel
> > commands
> > but im pretty sure ive run into this problem before and i need to
> > generate the config so that it says x86_64 on the end i just dont
> > remember how
> Does it say it's loading the kernel commands, or just that it's loading
> the kernel?
>
> The name of the kernel file is essentially arbitraty, although there
> are certainly conventions. What is important is that grub knows the
> correct name to use.

AFAIR, grub-mkconfig looks for files named vmlinuz-version, so while it
is not arbitrary when auto-generating the GRUB config, the name here
should be fine.

I suspect the issue is with either the contents of the kernel or the
parameters you pass it, rather than the suffix of the file name.

--
Neil Bothwick

0 and 1. Now what could be so hard about that?